Advice on broken rod tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on broken rod tips

It seems I am forever breaking off the tips of my graphite rods. The last trip I broke two more tips. It happens in the car; inadvertently putting things on top of the tips, or closing a door or a hatch on them, or casting too close to trees or bending them too much under piers.

They usually break near the tip so I can save the end guide by heating up and burning off the small broken piece and then glueing them back on.

The last repair I used Liquid Nails for glue and ultimately it didn't work. Any suggestions on the best type of glue to use on graphite? Thanks, I have two more rods to repair from last week!

I've always just used the rod tip repair kit sold by Berkley. It includes a cement stick that you heat and apply to the end of the rod and then push the new rod tip on.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Industrial hot melt glue, not the craft glues sticks. Berkley's glue sticks work well too. 5 minute epoxy is also usable.
      Remember to gently twist the tip top on over the molten glue as the glue will spread a little better that way.

Comment

Sounds good gents. I guess the Berkely cement sticks and extra tips are what I'll look for first. Thanks, Steve

Comment

After you heat the glue stick and put some on the rod tip remember to heat the tip before you put it on the rod.
          http://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/
          484-459-9863
          If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
          *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Comment

Great, thanks again!

Comment

I like the fuji repair tips. Seems to me that 2 part epoxy would be better. I actually had a tip fall off one of my tiger lites yesterday and fixed it with 2 part epoxy. Spent 10 hours on the water with it today with lots of jigging and holding great so far.

Comment

Coming back Friday.. on the opposite span of the bridge... a semi truck was spewing smoke as though it was on fire.
                I actually thought it was a fire until I got adjacent to the truck.. I even thought it might have been a movie or stunt or something.
                In my haste to keep the smoke out rolled up the windows .. and well.. yup... el'snappo...
                Luckily it was right at the tip, drilled it out and installed.
                Two part 5 minute epoxy is what I have been using.
                I imagine.. since the invention of electric windows.. broken rod tips has gone up exponentially.

Comment

Originally posted by docirv View Post
                  After you heat the glue stick and put some on the rod tip remember to heat the tip before you put it on the rod.
                  ......... But just enough to soften/melt the glue ......... Too much will weaken the rod

Comment

Working...
                  X