Reel damaging mono?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reel damaging mono?

I recently have found spots in my mono that look badly pinched or crushed way up the line from my lure (60+ feet). I heard the spots clicking through the guides during my retrieve after a long cast so I pull tested and one broke very easily, one seemed pretty strong still. I usually use fluoro in low pros but I want to use mono for topwater. Has anyone had this problem before and/or know the cause?
    One thing I've considered is if my modified Albright knot in the spool is causing the pressure points as I do use braid backing - if this is the problem, is there a remedy other than ditching the braid backing and is the same thing happening to my fluoro that I just haven't noticed?

*It was 12lb sufix elite on two different Abu Garcia low profile baitcasters - an Orra and a Silver Max.

I haven't heard of that problem. I recently switched to the FG knot for connecting to braid. It is the thinnest connecting knot and should eliminate the "bump" from the Albright if that is a possible source. According to testing it is also stronger.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Nice suggestion
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

do you have a hook keeper on your rod above the reel? some of those open ones (for texas rigged hooks or for drop shot) can catch the line during the cast, making for a rough or kinked spot
        Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Take a look at all the guides along the rod. If you have even a small nick or burr in one of them it could damage line. Take a piece of thin pantyhose material or some other synthetic fabric and pull it through each guide. If it catches, you may have found the culprit.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

It is unlikely that line has been damaged by a crushing action.
            Along with what John suggested, check the lip of your spool. Sometimes they get little nicks in them that can damage your line. With casting reels, check the level wind guide and edges for a rough spot.

Are you fishing near pilings like the Bay Bridge or around docks?
            Barnacles, and other assorted stuff can do a lot of damage if your line is dragged across them.
            I try to replace mono under 20 lb. test after a couple of months due to sunlight exposure if used often. ( You would also be amazed what a customer can do to mono, like continuing to reel as drag is being taken-twist city).
            I use Real Magic spray religiously on my reels, and the reels we use on the charter boat, before each use. It works great!
            Last edited by bignose; 08-09-2015, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
              Take a look at all the guides along the rod. If you have even a small nick or burr in one of them it could damage line. Take a piece of thin pantyhose material or some other synthetic fabric and pull it through each guide. If it catches, you may have found the culprit.
              First your modeling career now panty hose, starting to wonder about you john

Comment

I appreciate all the quick suggestions - I checked out that FG knot and I am super impressed. Did some pull tests with weights in the basement last night and it is definitely strong and low profile. Also easier to tie so thanks a ton. I changed my dropshot/shakey head leaders to FG knots last night just because they are so slim and neat (and I like messing around with my fishing gear in the basement, ha ah).

I did check my guides and spool, etc. for nicks or anything that would have damaged the line. I used a q tip with the cotton loosened a little to find any sharp spots but everything looked good to go. The way the line looked leads me to believe it wasn't from a nick because it wasn't abraded, it looked more pinched. I guess it could have gotten caught in the reel handle or drag star or on some other part of the reel but I would think I'd notice that. Anyway, I did need to replace the line anyway so I tied an FG and then put a strip of hockey tape over it to even out the bump (hardly was one anyway with that FG knot) in the spool. Then I put on some about 150' of fresh mono and I'm gonna see how that works out.

And to anyone who hasn't tried the FG knot - there is a video on YT:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjzUb5QRKuk
                It shows an easy way to tie it and it seems like it would be easier to do on your kayak than the Albright or the Alberto if you needed to. I put my rod in the rod holder and held tension on the main line by tying a couple figure 8s in the very end and biting 'em.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X