Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cambridge, Madison Bay, and Lowe's Wharf 8/4/15 - 8/6/15

Cambridge/Great Marsh Park Launch - Tuesday, 8/4

I launched at Great Marsh Park on Tuesday about 6:00 am and worked a long shoreline heading down river on the Choptank. I was targeting stripers and larger perch trolling a blue/white X-Rap and a 3/8 ounce white jig with a white or chartreuse 4" Gulp swimming mullet.

I had all the perch I wanted, but my focus was really on keeper stripers. For some reason, they just weren't there that day, although I did boat several in the 10"-14" range on X-Rap (unbelievably given lure size).

BTW, the location of Great Marsh Park is very convenient to RT. 50, so if you're heading in either direction, the launch is only about 5 minutes from the Rt. 50 bridge across the Choptank. For diehards who like to bottom fish at night, there's also the Bill Burton Fishing Bridge at either Dorchester Co., or Talbot Co. side of the River.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Madison Bay - Public Launch at Madison Bay - 8/5/15

Because my rowdy buddies kept me up until 1:00 am the night before, I didn't launch at Madison Bay until after 7:00 am. Still, it was well worth the stuggle to overcome sleep deprivation, etc. I worked the shoreline marshy areas to the left of the launch, and caught a nice fat perch 11" perch.

Although I didn't land any keeper stripers (I used the same set-up and shoreline trolling I did at Cambridge), I did have a nice fight from an 18 inch striper, and also saw two bald eagles after crossing the Madison Bay channel (I did work the channel with a one ounce jig and 6" curly tail to no effect). Madison Bay is one of the prettiest launches on the entire Bay, see pics.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lowe's Wharf - 8/6/15.

I caught a keeper striper a couple of weeks ago, and decided to return to the scene of the crime. I launched at about 6:30 am and worked the right side out of the launch. Too much grass, both submerged and floating. I could have re-rigged with a topwater lure, but wanted to keep moving.

I worked my way over to the left side again, and sure enough near where I caught the keeper, I landed another 18 incher on the X-Rap. That seems to be an effective lure, and it outfished the jigs with the swimming mullets this trip.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, other than striking out on keeper size stripers, it was a great trip. I saw some beautiful parts of the Eastern Shore, and also reconned some future launches, such as Hoopers Island. That is one wild place and I want to get back there. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to make the 40 mile drive from the Cambridge Comfort Inn both mornings.

One of these days I will show up at a Meet n' Greet and make some fast friends. My work schedule generally involves weekends, so it's a challenge to get away on Saturdays.

Madison Bay and Lowe's Wharf pics
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Last edited by Fishinfool; 08-08-2015, 11:08 AM.

Good report Steve. Those are pretty areas over there.

I recognize that guy in the dark blue shirt -- please send my regards to Steve A.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
      Good report Steve. Those are pretty areas over there.

I recognize that guy in the dark blue shirt -- please send my regards to Steve A.
      Thanks John, and I'll be sure to give Steve your regards!

I was the only guy fishing on this trip, but it didn't matter because they liked to party late and sleep in. I suppose we could have organized a charter like the old days, but they didn't seem as interested as in years past.

I was really impressed with Hoopers Island. I'd love to get in on some reds and specs in Sept/Oct if they are there. That place reminded me a bit of the Fla Keys.

Comment

Working...
      X