Load Rite K1000-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Load Rite K1000-2

With the second Outback in the stable, I had to break down and buy a trailer. Jeep-Topping two kayaks worked, but it was a serious pain in the hind quarters getting them safely nested and tied down on the roof of my TJ.

Had to steal my wife's Jeep to pick up the new trailer, mine isn't wired for trailer lights yet.

Stock I can only load them gunnel down; don't want to take a chance of deforming the hull. The tongue of the trailer is much longer than it needs to be, but I'll leave it that length for now...I might shorten it later.

Going to free up some space in my two door Jeep by having the scupper carts ride on the kayaks. Just going to use some cordage and bungie cords to keep them from bouncing out.

Next plan for the trailer is to get some bunks or other such support so I can have the kayaks loaded upright and not stress the hulls. I want to be able to leave them loaded on the trailer for storage, and leave them partially rigged as well. Being able to have the rocket launchers and other things stay on the kayaks will free up more space for cargo in the Jeep too.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

PVC tubes worked well on my trailer they flex enough to support the entire hull length.. I think I used 2 1/2 " tubes. They were 1/2 the cost of 3" tubes
    It's nice to be able to leave the kayaks mostly loaded and ready fish.

Comment

Thanks for the insight Jeff.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Looks Great!

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
          Thanks for the insight Jeff.
          keep in mind the temperate climate you live in..MD has some hella cold winters....Schedule 80 pvc pipe at a minimum will last a really long time and be much more forgiving in the cold weather.
          Christopher

2016 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Torqueedo Ultralight 403, Mad Frog Gear Boards, Elite-5 ti, Berley Pro Visor and Transducer mount and some other goodies...
          2016 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-5 ti, BerleyPro Visor and Transducer mount
          2013 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Elite-4x Chirp
          2013 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-4 HDI

Comment

Originally posted by RustedAngler View Post
            keep in mind the temperate climate you live in..MD has some hella cold winters....Schedule 80 pvc pipe at a minimum will last a really long time and be much more forgiving in the cold weather.
            It will be in the garage, with exception of fishing days. Garage temperatures are still above freezing in the winter from my experience around here. "Hella cold" here is pretty warm, compared to where I grew up in South Dakota, LOL.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

DSCN0543.jpg What you need is a truck problem solved
              Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
              Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I've had trucks, I'll keep my Jeep(s).
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                  I've had trucks, I'll keep my Jeep(s).
                  I had a jeep also and loved it but I love my truck more.
                  Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                  Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I've been tossing the trailer idea around but hate to have another one dedicated just for kayaks so in the meantime I'm looking used and something I could store camping gear in also. Oh, I wouldn't advise making the tongue shorter unless you need parking room. The shorter you go the harder it's going to be to back up. Looks great the way it is to me. Good luck !!
                    2016 Hobie Outback Limited #220
                    2016 Jackson Cuda 12
                    2015 Emotion 11 Stealth Angler

Comment

Originally posted by 1idrod View Post
                      I've been tossing the trailer idea around but hate to have another one dedicated just for kayaks so in the meantime I'm looking used and something I could store camping gear in also. Oh, I wouldn't advise making the tongue shorter unless you need parking room. The shorter you go the harder it's going to be to back up. Looks great the way it is to me. Good luck !!
                      I've thought about putting a box on the tongue, that way I could put some of the gear inside and lock it. Short tongue does make it more challenging to back up for many people; I'm not one of them.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

I would also recommend getting a truck instead, especially one with an 8' bed (I thought I would not mind the decrease to 6.5'...I really miss my 8' bed these days). But trailer looks great if it works for you (there is nowhere to park with a trailer some of the spots I fish--I guess you don't have that issue). The tongue looks extremely long for that purpose. I don't have issues backing any trailer either. The tongue on mine is short and it really easy to back in, but not sure how it would feel to others.

Comment

Saw someone with these this summer while in Fl (made for the PA)...seems like you should be able to get ones custom for the outback?
                          John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                          Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                          2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
                            Saw someone with these this summer while in Fl (made for the PA)...seems like you should be able to get ones custom for the outback?
                            I was hoping to get a couple sets of those, but for the Outbacks...Hobie doesn't make them.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

I'm going to need to cut the tongue shorter on the trailer, new house doesn't hav as deep of garage bays.

Hobie fleet:
                              2017 Quest 13
                              2015 Outback
                              2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X