No announcement yet.

Load Rite K1000-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally got around to shortening the trailer so it will fit better in the garage of the new house. Cut 3 feet off the tongue. Cut the wires for the lights, and used a soldering iron to splice them back together...yes, I could have just used crimp splices, but I like soldering wires better; it's a direct connection, and takes way more time for corrosion and vibration for the splice to fail.

I left out details of how to do it on purpose. If anyone reading this doesn't know what they are doing, they should not use this post as a guide.

Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

That is a great setup Cowpoke...

I am late to the party but I was wondering as I read through the thread if you could have gone with a fold-a-way style tongue? That way you can have the long tongue and keep it in the garage too. I have been considering a trailer as well, getting too old and lazy (mostly lazy) to heft the Moken on top of the jeep... I just don't want to give up some of the launches that are not trailer able.

Regardless we need to get together and fish sometime before cold weather.
      People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Smith View Post
        That is a great setup Cowpoke...

I am late to the party but I was wondering as I read through the thread if you could have gone with a fold-a-way style tongue? That way you can have the long tongue and keep it in the garage too. I have been considering a trailer as well, getting too old and lazy (mostly lazy) to heft the Moken on top of the jeep... I just don't want to give up some of the launches that are not trailer able.

Regardless we need to get together and fish sometime before cold weather.
        After I started making the first cut I got a message from a buddy saying, DON"T CUT IT, MAKE IT A FOLD AWAY. It was 30 seconds too late. Actually, I could still make it a fold away, but I'm not going to. If I had thought about the fold away option before I decided to chop 3 feet off....I still would cut three feet off and call it a day. The only thing it cost me to chop it was my own time and less than fifty cents in materials. The fold away parts are about $70 just for the hinge.

Edit add: Yeah, we'll fish. Headed to CBKA next weekend then the following weekends the good blues action should start showing up in the mid bay.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Nice job. Those are fun kind of projects.

Comment

Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

It turns a little faster now while backing up, not an issue for me.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

I had this idea for you CowPokey.
                Instead of using flexable PVC pipe for hull supports try an easy laminate....

Cover your hull with protective plastic
                cut long strips of 1/4 inch plywood of whatever width you think is best
                strap or clamp the first strip to the hull so that the bendy 1/4 inch plywood conforms to the location you want to support.
                Glue a second piece of plywood to the first
                Glue a third to the second and first
                sand paint and varnish the results

the glued strips will make a real sturdy wood mold that exactly conforms to your hull..
                People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Smith View Post
                  I had this idea for you CowPokey.
                  Instead of using flexable PVC pipe for hull supports try an easy laminate....

Cover your hull with protective plastic
                  cut long strips of 1/4 inch plywood of whatever width you think is best
                  strap or clamp the first strip to the hull so that the bendy 1/4 inch plywood conforms to the location you want to support.
                  Glue a second piece of plywood to the first
                  Glue a third to the second and first
                  sand paint and varnish the results

the glued strips will make a real sturdy wood mold that exactly conforms to your hull..
                  For the time being I'll be leaving them upside down. But when it's time for a winter project I'll be back to review this.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                  X