Prop Stick for Crabbing Trot Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop Stick for Crabbing Trot Line

I'm going to give trot lining a try and needed to build a prop stick for my kayak to make that possible.

Bought parts at the local big hardware store (note: I already had PVC primer):

I bought a PVC cutter, much easier than a tubing cutter, but does not cut the ends "square".

Simple one handed, it ratchets a little at a time.

The base. Also, I used "T" pieces for the base where it goes into the molded in rod holders, so I can still use the rod holders.

The ends that go into the molded in rod holders have an edge:

So I used some 220 grit sand paper with silicone instead of "paper".

It rounds the edges of nicely.

Getting there, but how far do I want it to stick out?

I called MOC and asked the "Crab Whisperer", he suggested 18" from the edge of the kayak to the first upright.

All completed.

For parts:

Shopping list:

1 = ten foot piece of 1 1/4"* Schedule 40 PVC
    2 = 90ยบ elbows
    4 = T
    2 = End caps

Cut Pieces:
    2 = 7.25"
    2 = 4"
    3 = 8"
    1 = 18"
    1 = 23ish* inch

*Your application will vary depending on your kayak.
    Last edited by Cowpokey; 08-06-2015, 09:42 PM.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

nice job & well documented!
    Red 2015 Hobie Outback
    Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Nice work. The only advice that I can suggest is to add either a 45 degree or 90 degree elbows at the top of your two 8 inch up rights turned inwards. Just look at mine in one of my videos to see what I mean. I have had cases in strong current or increasing winds that pushes my kayak or canoe away from the trot line making trot line tight. When it gets too tight, the trotline can have a tendency to slip off the prop stick forcing your to go back to the beginning of your line and start over on the troll.

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
        Nice work. The only advice that I can suggest is to add either a 45 degree or 90 degree elbows at the top of your two 8 inch up rights turned inwards. Just look at mine in one of my videos to see what I mean. I have had cases in strong current or increasing winds that pushes my kayak or canoe away from the trot line making trot line tight. When it gets too tight, the trotline can have a tendency to slip off the prop stick forcing your to go back to the beginning of your line and start over on the troll.
        I saw those angles at the top of yours. Didn't think about wind or current pushing me off line and having the line ride up to the point of coming out...I can adjust later if needed.

Thanks for the insight.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
        X