Ocean Kayak Minnkota Motor Plug Connection Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocean Kayak Minnkota Motor Plug Connection Question

So I rarely use my Minnkota Motor on my ocean kayak torque, and yesterday I decided to use the motor to cover more ground in locating some honey holes for future fishing trips. Well I noticed I wasn't getting max speed on the motor, when I got back to shore later in the evening I noticed wiring was exposed and slightly cut exactly before the motor plug connection. So anyone with a ocean kayak torque ever had same issue happen to them? Little upset as I feel for such a costly kayak 4 years ago, cheap material was used. I've used the motor literally about 20 times in 4 years, and have taken care of it after every use.

I don't have any experience with the specific model you are talking about but know a little about motoring on the bay. Usually, just exposing the wire doesn't lead to a huge amount of loss in amperage and therefore power to the motor. Usually you would look at the output / condition at the battery, the resistance between the battery and the motor, and the motor condition and performance converting that power to motion. All of these can effect the motor's performance. I would also inspect inside the motor for corrosion, rust and build up if you've run the motor in anything other than sweet water. Some diagnosis can determine whether it is the battery, wire or motor...
    -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

I have a 2012 Torque. I use the motor on almost every trip. No wire damage at all. Quality workmanship on mine.

The only problem I've encountered was some corrosion on the connector pins from all my saltwater use. I just cleaned them up with some emery cloth, swabbed on some dialectic grease and haven't had any problems since.

Sent from my PalmPilot using Tapatalk
      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
      X