Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Clement's Island Museum kayak launch facilities

Hey folks,
    Any chance one of you has ever put in a kayak off the pier at the museum? I understand it's hard to put in off the shore due to rock riprap. A museum spokesperson said launching off the pier is allowed and there is a lower platform that can be used. A couple of us plan to kayak to St. Clement's Island for a day trip. However, one of us may find it difficult to get in a kayak off a ladder or a deck more than a foot or so off the water. Any advise would be really appreciated.

There was a discussion back in June on various launch options at St Clements. Sounded like the beach near the museum might be public but the threads indicated that they were launching at some marinas maybe 1 1/2 miles from the island. Search St Clements on the forum and you will find it.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I fish St. Clements Island on occasion. Can be decent at times. Heron Island Bar can be as well. I’d pass on the hassle of loading and unloading from the pier unless they put in a floating dock that I’m not aware of. As I’ve mentioned on here before, I put in at Colton’s Point Marina. A couple plus miles to the island. There is another marina about a half mile closer but have not used them.

There is a small beach down the street from the museum that I did use once as I heard it was public. Local constable was there when we came in. Seems he was more interested in keeping peace in the neighborhood. Didn’t say we couldn’t put in there but just assume not. Might end up being more trouble than it's worth. Give the town a call and ask about it.
      Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
      Predator 13

Comment

The beach as is all beaches are public unless it is marked federal goverment.as long as you dont block the road you can launch there

Comment

Originally posted by Fishtank View Post
          There is another marina about a half mile closer but have not used them.
          Cather Marine.
          Nice people there. They charge me $5 for a trailer, but have always let me launch free when I car top.
          Its about 1.8 miles to the island from there.

BTW, if you do launch at the beach/pier, be sure to move your vehicle back to the museum parking lot after unloading.
          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Thanks all, sounds like we'll check out the museum first and if unsuitable head to Cathers. Appreciate all the input, looks like a nice weekend to go yakking.

Comment

Working...
            X