Learning to do things the hard way...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning to do things the hard way...

I set out from the Little Magothy with a plan of trolling along Podickery and then jigging BKDs at the bridge. I checked Windfinder, the tide charts and even the lunar cycles - post Blue Moon, and all looked good (to me). I thought I had a solid, well thought out course of action of where to go to find the fish.

After a few quick perch in the river to get the skunk off, I set out to implement my plan. The one factor I neglected to seriously consider was the motor boat traffic. I was not overly concerned about getting in their way (although, I did have my head on a swivel), but I did not anticipate the wave action that was created by all the coming and going. I was getting hammered from every direction making the paddle especially tedious.

I considered bagging my plan and slinking back to my launch site and settle for the ever reliable WP. Being generally stubborn and having my heart set on some Rockfish pullage, I cleared the crab pots, hit the ledge and pointed my boat towards SP Light. I started trolling a candy red tube and worm rig along with a deep diver in about 32 feet of water. Both rigs had produced for me in the past and were in line with what the recent local fishing reports said the Bass wanted.

The boat action did not decrease and the waves took their toll. While I marked fish on the trek, I failed to convince them to eat what I had to offer. By the time I arrived at the lighthouse, my back was cranky and my arms weary. Being that close to the bridge kept me motivated so that I could enjoy fishing the pilings. I made my way towards the western Rock Pile and decided to troll past it to see if I could entice any of the local residents.

Despite watching my depth on my FF, I quickly snagged both lines in the rocks and wasted 20 minutes extricating myself from a hapless situation. By this time the incoming tide was really starting to rip through and made maintaining any sort of position very difficult.

I decided that, at this point, I needed to start working my way towards SPSP where my wife was to pick me up. I started jigging at #30 and finally found fish. I was able to connect with some, the biggest being about 22" using hot rodded BKDs. The current continued to increase in intensity and made just getting into casting position a challenge. I basically got one cast, got flushed and then had to battle my back into position at the next piling.

I arrived at SPSP 6.5 hours later, weary but a wiser for the experience. I had read about all of the pitfalls that I encountered, but had to get them under my belt. Learning what not to do is part of my process (because I am stubborn and thickheaded). Needless to say, I will remember this trip as I plot out future courses of action. I will certainly make the trek again as it covers productive grounds, but I will pay closer attention to ALL the details that can impact the trip.
    DSCN2447.jpgDSCN2448.jpgDSCN2446.jpg
    Last edited by EMSer; 08-05-2015, 12:05 AM.
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Good on you Bruce! Learning things on your own makes a big difference. Congrats on the keepers
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

thanks for the write up, well done!
      sigpic

Comment

Like the saying goes "Experience is the best teacher". I've not yet kayak the bridge but been out there quite a few times with my fishing boat. The boat wakes and the ripping currents are not something to sneeze at. Glad you got some pullage.
        Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Way to get out there and get some fish in all that.

Outback 2015
          Maui

Comment

Working...
          X