Severn Fishing and Crabbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn Fishing and Crabbing

I'm back from Colorado for 6 weeks before I start work again, so I am taking advantage of as much water time as I can get. I just purchased a Hobie Revo from Mike on here and the past 4 days I've been breaking it in - absolutely love it! I hit the water on the 31st, 01, 02, and today the 4th.

Fishing (31, 01,02): Worked areas that I was familiar with in the past, typically 2-7'GOPR2780.jpg of water hitting drop offs of 10-14' or so on the standard jig heads with paddle tails. Additionally I bought a white rattle trap from BPS and hot rodded the rear of it and this ended up being more popular over the three days compared to the paddle tails. I caught White Perch up to 9", an 8" Blue, and numerous Striper with the largest being about 17.5" with lesions on it's side. Getting used to the trolling speed pedaling over paddling has taken some getting used to. I keep finding myself going faster than I need to.

Crabbing (04): Started at 8:30 (should have been earlier, but I tangled my trotline). I was using chicken drumsticks (cheapest) cut up into smaller pieces and a 300' line. Started off working an area that ranged from 6-8'. I ended up moving to an area that covered 8-12' of water and ended up with some really large crabs. DNR was out and about. Had a nice chat with two of the officers who checked my crabs. I always enjoy getting to talk to them and hear how their days are going. Ended up with about a half bushel of larger size crabs.GOPR2782.jpg
    J

I trolled for two hours near the mouth of the Severn this morning. Everywhere I went, I saw loads of bait on the sonar. The screen shows a typical view.

001.jpg

But in all that time, I got just one fish -- a 19" striper. I also had about 8 paddletail tails bitten off (presumably bluefish).

When I returned to the ramp at Ellen Moyer water park, I was surprised to see some guard ducklings blocking the ramp.

002.jpg 003.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
      I trolled for two hours near the mouth of the Severn this morning. Everywhere I went, I saw loads of bait on the sonar. The screen shows a typical view.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16631[/ATTACH]

But in all that time, I got just one fish -- a 19" striper. I also had about 8 paddletail tails bitten off (presumably bluefish).

When I returned to the ramp at Ellen Moyer water park, I was surprised to see some guard ducklings blocking the ramp.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16632[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]16633[/ATTACH]
      John, Is that access located by the old water treatment facility? I am unfamiliar with the name and it is surprisingly cryptic when I google it...
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
        John, Is that access located by the old water treatment facility? I am unfamiliar with the name and it is surprisingly cryptic when I google it...
        It is located immediately past Bert Jabin's yacht yard on Edgewood Rd/Bembe Beach Rd. near Hillsmere. There is a small parking lot and a short haul to a pier and plastic-decked ramp. It puts you into Back Creek. It takes 15-20 mins to paddle/pedal to the river.

It may be more correctly called the Ellen Moyer Nature Park
        John Veil
        Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Got it. Thanks,

Is it easier access to the mouth of the Severn than Jonas Greene?
          Bruce

Hobie PA 14
          Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by Jman View Post
            I'm back from Colorado for 6 weeks before I start work again, so I am taking advantage of as much water time as I can get.
            As you can tell, you're here at a good time. Crabs are plentiful. I was down at PLO hunting croaker. Pulled in a few nice ones, but it was tough with all the crabs that kept hitting my bloodworms and shrimp. So we simply switch to crabbing.
            2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
              Got it. Thanks,

Is it easier access to the mouth of the Severn than Jonas Greene?
              It is a shorter paddle to the Severn mouth, particularly the south side. Plus part of the trip in inside Back Creek, which is sheltered waters (minimal waves and wakes).
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Comment

Working...
              X