Schuylkill River Smallies 8/3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schuylkill River Smallies 8/3

Just thought I'd post a fun little report from last night. Had about 2 hours of daylight left to float a portion of the skuke by my house. I took two rods: one with a musky killer bucktail and then a bass rod with a handful of lures. The water was warm (83) and low but I knew there was some low pressure moving in and hoped it would bring out the elusive skuke musky. I threw the bucktail for an hour at every major piece of wood in this stretch and didn't see any 'skis but did get a couple follows from decent looking smallmouth.

I put down the musky rod and immediately saw a smallie break the surface. Made a cast with a jig n pig and boom first fish was a nice healthy 13 incher. From there it got crazy. For the next hour I threw a small rapala skitterpop and had soooo many fish bust on it. They were acrobatic and charged up and even though they were all small it was a lot of fun and a good sign for a river that has seen smallies, especially smaller ones, all but disappear in the last few years. I finished with 7 fish landed in that last hour- two @ 13", two @ 12", two at 10" and an 8" largemouth for good measure. Lost quite a few more to spit hooks including a decent largemouth. I was fishing 10 lb braid and 10 lb flouro and making very long casts parallel to a bank with a dropoff from 2-8 feet with large rocks and scattered wood nearby. At one point I had 3 fish in 4 casts. Absolutely unheard of (for me anyway) on the skuke.

At about 8:40 it got dark the mosquitos came out IN FORCE and were not at all dissuaded by OFF Deep Woods. I briefly trolled a black jitterbug on my way back to the launch and had 3 blowups in a very short time frame but couldn't hook any. The skeeters got so bad I couldn't take it and left the fish biting.
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Nice report. I love the rock bass picture - they are annoying at times but still a cool looking fish.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Looks like good clean fun to me... Doesn't matter what size the fish are, its a blast when the bite is on. Thanks for sharing
        John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
        Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Don't know if it works on "your skeeters" or not but I used to buy a pack of cheap cigars for fishing at night (wading when the river was clear) on the Greenbrier River. Just light one up, put it in your mouth and let it hang there and slowly burn. Worked to keep the skeeters and gnats away from me while I was wading/fishing. A pack lasts quite awhile.

When those rock bass give you a thrill is when the hit a Mepps spinner out in the current. When one of them turns sideways in the current it can really bend your rod and stretch your line way out of proportion to their length.

Comment

Working...
          X