Mallow's Bay 7/30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mallow's Bay 7/30

Tried to fish the bay right at high tide, but didn't arrive until 10am, about 1.5 hours after. Tide was still pretty high, so I was able to fish openings in the weedlines close to shore hoping for snakehead. Only had one hit fishing a frog over the weeds. Missed it. Think I also scared one while paddling. Fished south (left) of the ramp until I got bored. Moved further off shore to more sparse weeds, deeper water. Worked a baby 1 minus crankbait and orange wacky worm. Got a few nibbles on the wacky worm, but no hookups. Moved across the bay closer to the main area where the wrecks are. Again, worked the shoreline weeds hoping for snakeheads, but the tide was getting lower. Found a nice bluegill spawing area and fished a tiny jig and caught a decent bluegill...but I think they got spooked and stopped hitting. Winds started picking up and put a chop on the water. I again went out deeper and fished the crankbait. Managed a chunky 12 inch largemouth but that was it. Decided to head up inside the creek past the launch. Chucked a 4" fluke style minnow at the steel breakwall thing and immediately caught a nice 14" largemouth. Worked the weeds inside the creek but only managed one more bass at 10" on the fluke before calling it quits at 2:45pm. All in all a decent day and better than work! Saw a lot of eagles and other birds/ wildlife.
    Green Old Town Loon 111
    Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

i haven't been there since DNR pulled me over and harassed me. glad to hear ya caught some fish. i really like the look of that place and it does hold some decent fish around those sunken boats.
    Rich
    Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

I like Mallows- fish there quite a bit... nice to hear you got some bass...this time of year it can be incredibly slow/ frustrating. What you might want to consider would be Carolina rig some cut bait or chick breast... catfish all through there...as well out past the big steel ship...go to the main channel edge- about 30-40 yrds out from the ship and hang on...if you use cut bait or chicken liver stripers as well...

Comment

Working...
      X