First full fishing weekend in Hobie Outback 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First full fishing weekend in Hobie Outback 2015

With a new marriage, new house, and lots of changes this early summer I was not able to get out for a full weekend of my 'typical' fishing till now. On Saturday I planned to spend the afternoon at Sandy Point, but on the way there I looked at googlemaps and saw all red on the roads leading there from an accident on the bridge. Scrub that, Weems here I come. Perch fishing was only fair there. As others have reported the mud in the water is as bad as I've seen it. It was also unpleasantly warm. I ended up with 3 keeper perch, and enjoyed seeing an 8 inch catfish and an 8 inch bluefish on my line during the day as well. Lesson learned about my kayak. I have to be much more careful when I have multiple lines out. I like to drag a drop shot rig with nightcrawlers from my back pole holder as I cast a lure to shore up front. Somewhere in the natural course of moving around my worm line got fouled in the rudder. I could still navigate, but I couldn't free the line. I ended up cutting it.

On Sunday I hit SPSP nice and early. I had luck catching some decent perch under the bridge and found one little one which I kept to try livelining later. Turns out that that was the only small one but having gone that far I decided to head further out give it try. With my fishfinder lighting up I knew I was on a pile of stripers and sent my little one fish army on it's way. When he veered away I brought him back in, had a little chat about my expectations for his performance, and sent him out a again. Soon enough I feel that little nervous twitch on the line, followed by the line running through my fingers. Five seconds later I flipped the bail to set the hook, and with drag peeling off and my rod bent in half I knew I had a decent one. Lesson learned on this trip: Be very careful about keeping the fish going away from the boat, not under it (as if I can control that). Long story short, this time the line was run in the fins of my outback. Fortunately, he had also run through my stringer of perch so I pull up my perch and was able to grab the line and manually land a 26.5" healthy rockfish. I'm not sure if I had kept reeling in with the braid rubbing against my fins if it would have cut the line, but I wasn't in the mood to peddle to reposition with the line there. I suppose I could have unleashed the paddle and used it to turn the boat, but I didn't want to set the pole down to do that.

So far I enjoy the Outback, but compared to the sleek lines (inside and out) of my previous Pescador 12 the Outback is taking some getting used to. There is a lot more 'stuff' hanging off the boat to get things caught in. But it was a good weekend and nice to be back out on the water again.

Thanks for the reports. What I usually try to do when a line with fish on it gets caught on the mirage drive, is unlock and pull up the drive for a few second to free the line.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

You can also push one foot forward and one back and it will push the fins all the way out against the hull and you have less chance of the line hanging up there in the first place.
      John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
      Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Good ideas, thanks. Obviously I'm still learning. I appreciate the advice.

Comment

What Shady said...I pull the drive if I get tangled in it. Getting tangled in the rudder can cause other challenges that are way more difficult to resolve, but you cross those obstacles when you get to them. I got another CNR tangled in the rudder yesterday, but got lucky and just needed to raise the rudder and it came free. I was trolling three rods, that can turn into a mess real quick...I don't know how the folks do it with 4 rods in the water trolling...I mean, I can do it, but such a PITA when fish are biting well. I had a triple yesterday, and it made a mess.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

If I have a complaint about a design aspect of Hobie it's that their rudder is a fishing line magnet. The steering mechanism sits above the transom just enough for a slack line or even a taught line from a runaway fish to tangle in it. When I can't get help on the water from a fishing buddy I'll pedal to the closest beach to disengage a tangled line from my rudder. Sometimes the fish is still hooked as it was last week when I caught a striper in Kent Narrows. I actually reeled it in while standing on the shore after I unwrapped my line from rudder. But most of the time the fish gets off as I pedal to shore.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

You'll get it figured out. The best bet it so keep pedaling in a straight line when you have other lines trolling. If you get a strong fish, put that rod in a rod holder, and reel the other lines in. Then pedal in circle, as needed to keep the fight clear of things that would tangle on the kayak.

Speaking from experience...CNR will give you some life lessons when it comes to kayak fishing.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                If I have a complaint about a design aspect of Hobie it's that their rudder is a fishing line magnet. The steering mechanism sits above the transom just enough for a slack line or even a taught line from a runaway fish to tangle in it. When I can't get help on the water from a fishing buddy I'll pedal to the closest beach to disengage a tangled line from my rudder. Sometimes the fish is still hooked as it was last week when I caught a striper in Kent Narrows. I actually reeled it in while standing on the shore after I unwrapped my line from rudder. But most of the time the fish gets off as I pedal to shore.
                I've actually thought about filing or grinding the leading edge of the rudder down so line can't get caught in that little notch as easily- or so you could pull it out easier when it does.

Not sure though if it would affect the performance of the rudder or not...
                John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by azmdted View Post
                  Long story short, this time the line was run in the fins of my outback. Fortunately, he had also run through my stringer of perch so I pull up my perch and was able to grab the line and manually land a 26.5" healthy rockfish.
                  Nice Catch!!!!
                  Sounds like you christened your new yak appropriately. I might just have to get out to the bridge myself this weekend.

Any pics?
                  2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                  Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
                    Nice Catch!!!!
                    Sounds like you christened your new yak appropriately. I might just have to get out to the bridge myself this weekend.

Any pics?
                    Fish 2 Aug 15.jpg

Thanks. Just a selfie I sent to my brother in law to see how his fishing weekend was going

Comment

That's a nice grilling size.
                      Looking good.
                      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
                      X