tandem trolling rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tandem trolling rig

During the summer and early fall, I often troll in shallow water using 1/2-oz jigheads (or bucktails) and paddletails. I decided to try a new tandem rig this morning. I started with a jighead and paddletail tied to an 18" mono leader, which was tied to the 20-lb braid running line. Mark gave me some small gold-headed bucktails (estimated 1/8 to 1/4 oz). I decided to tie one of the bucktails and a soft plastic on above the main jighead as a teaser or second lure. To do that, I took a piece of 20-lb mono line and tied a small loop on one end. I tied the bucktail to the other end. I placed the new rig around the running line above the leader knot. I passed the bucktail through the loop and pulled it tight. The second lure could slide up and down the line but could drop no lower than the knot. I caught several fish on the main lure of that rod early on and later caught a double header (fish on both lures). I don’t think I had the rig optimized, but it did prove that the concept worked.

When jigging 2-oz Stingsilvers in the fall, I sometimes tie on a fly or other small lure in a similar manner as a teaser lure. I often catch two fish at once (and typically they are larger fish).

001.jpg 002.jpg

I would not want to run tandems on all four lines, but having one in the spread adds some additional opportunities.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Looks like a winning setup. I have thought about doing something similar using a Clouser minnow. Thanks for including the pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

John,

I tried a similar rig this morning at Goodhands, but the two lines kept twisting. How did you prevent that?
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
        John,

I tried a similar rig this morning at Goodhands, but the two lines kept twisting. How did you prevent that?
        Mine were tied with 20-lb or 25-lb mono. The add-on lure was lighter in weight than the one tied to the running line. I did not have twisting or tangling issues. If that continues, consider using a small 3-way swivel.
        John Veil
        Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Tie the lighter one on a barrel swivel ........ Thread the line from the reel thru the other end of the swivel and tie end to another swivel and then add the heavier jig on to it. This is the only thing I found that worked consistently. It also lets each jig react differently

Comment

Thanks guys. I did use a 3way swivel for my set up. I was using a half ounce jig /paddle tail and a Yozuri Crystal minnow. y thinking was that since the minnow floated, it would keep clear of the jig. I think I should put the heavier jig in the eye that is perpendicular to the line.

It is also possible that the twisting only happened when I reeled in the line - the faster tension pulling the lines together.....

I will also try your suggestion MM. It sound intriguing
            Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
              Thanks guys. I did use a 3way swivel for my set up. I was using a half ounce jig /paddle tail and a Yozuri Crystal minnow. y thinking was that since the minnow floated, it would keep clear of the jig. I think I should put the heavier jig in the eye that is perpendicular to the line.

It is also possible that the twisting only happened when I reeled in the line - the faster tension pulling the lines together.....

I will also try your suggestion MM. It sound intriguing
              I have never tried using a separate teaser lure with a swimming plug (Yozuri) on the main line. The plug gives a lot of motion, which probably led to the twisting. You can rig a teaser on a plug by removing the rear hook from the plug, tying on a short piece of line, and then adding a teaser. But having a teaser tied on up the line with a plug is asking for trouble in my opinion. I have used tandem rigs only with two jigheads/bucktails.

I made a drawing of how I set up my tandem rigs. There are many ways to do it, but I prefer keeping it simple as a first effort. I forgot to write on the image, but I use loop knots to connect the jigheads.

001.jpg
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Comment

I think you are right about the lure having too much motion. I will give it another try without it. Thanks for the drawing!
                Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Working...
                X