Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8/2 Mid-bay, Tilghman Island. Unusual day as well!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8/2 Mid-bay, Tilghman Island. Unusual day as well!

Left the house around 4am for the 1.5 hr drive to Tilghman Island, about 10 miles past St. Michaels. Reached the launch area and ran into Coop enjoying the pre-dawn waters with a nice cup of coffee. Hit the water around 6:15am-ish to calm waters with an increasing northwesterly wind of 5-7 knots. Trolled paddletails with 7-11" schoolies primarily hitting. One mystery fish, I'm assuming a blue, screamed off with one of my lures about about 50 yards of braid before snapping the line. Decided to change to location to choppier waters towards the bay while I still had energy left to work the 2-3 ft waves and hunt for bigger fish. Arrived on site, around 15-19' waters and paddled for another hour to no action.

Just as I was about to leave, about 50 yards away, I noticed a frenetic bait ball bubble up from the 19' depths swirling. Not in the usual calm toilet bowl vortex I'm use to seeing, but like a boiling, frothy kettle of tea. Immediately after bubbling up, I saw the jumping attack of large fish on the prey. At this point, I am BOOKING it like a mad olympic wannabee kayaker to get within casting range. Within reach, first cast flying, HIT. Pulled a 24", KEEPER! Second cast, HIT. Pulled a 28", KEEPER (and limit out). Every subsequent cast was a hit, as the Stripers were in full on hunting mode and had absolutely no discretion whatsoever. Even the second line that I was trolling and didn't have time to pull up got snagged by a 22"er as it was floating. About 10-15 minutes later, I was joined by one, then 4 power boaters dropping in on the action but by the time they got there the main action was other.

Total count: Over 20, lost count, all stripers. 2 keepers, the rest C&R. 7 miles paddled.

Lesson/s learned: I need a faster boat.
    -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Nothing like seeing that telltale sign of a bait ball trapped against the surface. Even better when you have it to yourself! Powerboaters ruin everything!
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Nothing beats being the right place at the right time. Congrats on doing just that. Looks like you will need to update your PB on your profile! Thanks for the report
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Its a blast when you run into that! I've only had it a few times on the yak
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Awesome! Days like that keep you coming back for more
          John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
          Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

It was amazing to see how intentionally frenetic they had made the bait. And the place they were culled to were cornered off with no place to go. I could have easily sat back with popcorn and be thoroughly entertained by the horror show.

Sig updated
            -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Life is hard and short for bait fish. Add gulls to the carnage and they truly have nowhere to go.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
              X