DIY Hobie Livewell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Hobie Livewell

Been dry docked at home this weekend watching the baby and finally had time to finish my livewell. I had most of the parts already from a failed attempt, the only new addition was the tank which I found at a RV store.

Parts:

RV 11 gallon water tank
    600 gph pump
    Hobie 8" hatch
    3/4 PVC
    3/4 tubing
    3/4 check valve
    1/4 tubing
    Drain plug
    Overflow
    Deck connector plug end
    Rubber feet, rod holders, handles, misc hardware

Completed tank with power connected at deck connector. After the pump is primed I can cycle water periodically via switch next to the seat.

Here you can see the switch, the other two are for nav and deck lighting. Everything (lights, fish finder, deck connector) is powered by one lithium battery in the forward hatch. Both the intake and overflow pipes feed to the scuppers when cart is removed.

Between the spray bar and pump is the check valve, I found this necessary after not being able to draw water from an unprimed intake. The spray bar is held in place with a plastic clip so it is easily removable and the end cap of the PVC spray bar is not glued. To prime I unclip the spray bar, remove the end cap, hold my fingers over the three holes in the spray bar, then suck till water reaches the check valve. Much easier than it sounds, takes about 10 seconds. During the test run today I found the pump stayed primed as long as I kept the pump submerged (3-4" of water).

Can see the clip here.

Forward 20ah battery, has quick disconnect on inside of kayak for charging and removal.

https://vimeo.com/135210695

Works awesome! The only thing I would change is to move the drain plug to the front of the tank versus the rear so I can reach behind me while sitting to drain if necessary. I also plan to add a lower overflow since this one was mounted a little too high for most applications. All in all probably have about $200 invested, but in my opinion it's leaps and bounds better than $300 Hobie.
    Last edited by silasvirus82; 08-03-2015, 11:16 AM.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

I know about being in kid-induced dry dock. I've been there a lot recently watching my baby's babies. Time flies.

Your work is impressive.

Congratulations.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

That's fancy! I like it.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

The switches are way to cool. I need to step up my rigging game. Nice work!
        -Jon
        Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by jsnyd86 View Post
          The switches are way to cool. I need to step up my rigging game. Nice work!
          I haven't had any problems with these switches so far, but when/if they fail I'd like to swap them out with marine grade push button switches and never worry again. Those are marine grade toggle switches, but I can look at them and tell they probably won't last in a kayak environment forever.
          2015 Hobie Outback
          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

very cool, thanks for sharing
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

That battery though...SWOON! I've got one in my shopping cart ready to purchase very soon! Totally worth it I'm sure!

The livewell is super clean built too..nice job!
              Last edited by RustedAngler; 08-03-2015, 01:56 PM.
              Christopher

2016 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Torqueedo Ultralight 403, Mad Frog Gear Boards, Elite-5 ti, Berley Pro Visor and Transducer mount and some other goodies...
              2016 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-5 ti, BerleyPro Visor and Transducer mount
              2013 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Elite-4x Chirp
              2013 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-4 HDI

Comment

Originally posted by RustedAngler View Post
                That battery though...SWOON! I've got one in my shopping cart ready to purchase very soon! Totally worth it I'm sure!

The livewell is super clean built too..nice job!
                You won't be disappointed with that battery. They are exponentially better than lead acid batteries in every way, I did my homework on that purchase. Super nice people to work with too, which is always a bonus!
                2015 Hobie Outback
                2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Very impressive John!
                  -Mustafa
                  ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                  "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

very well written & documented! great job.
                    Red 2015 Hobie Outback
                    Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

You did a professional job... well done!

Comment

Well done!
                        LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                        Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Working...
                        X