2015 Outback rigging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Outback rigging

Picked up the new kayak from Backyard Boats in Annapolis this morning, then spent the rest of the day rigging. Had to build another rocket launcher, and install the fish finder.

RL build in the other thread. This one just highlights a couple things for the fish finder install and how I intend to haul two kayaks on top of my Jeep. I think I'm going to get a trailer soon, but this should get us to the bay in the morning.

RAM base for a 1" ball fits with a little room to spare in the port side cup holder.

Had to cut a hole for an additional wire pass though in the port side pocket, a Dremel tool with a nasty cutting blade worked flawlessly. Notice the net has to be taken of first.

Wire ran for transducer and power.

Netting reinstalled, fish finder mounted. The wires tuck nicely into the side net pocket, sorry no picture of that. Notice it does not cover the rudder control.

Both kayaks rigged and ready.

Both kayaks loaded on the Jeep.

I'm not that pleased with the harness design on the front. I think the concept is good, but needs to be worked on to get it better.

Tomorrow we fish.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

I'm surprised you sacrificed a cup holder for the fish finder mount, why not just use the designated flat area?
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I want the gunnels flat for car topping upside down on my Jeep. The tray areas aren't deep enough to have the RAM ball flush or lower than flush with the top of the gunnels.

The first thing I did to the new kayak was remove the covers for the molded in rod holders and fill the screw holes with a hot glue gun.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

My 2014 outback flat area has the ram ball mount on it but maybe I have the smaller mount because it fits perfect and I car top mine everywhere I go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like you need a roof rack on your jeep! That's what I call a kayak sandwich. Here's one I did with 3!

I use ratchet straps which makes the bow tie down unnecessary. In the meanwhile this might be helpful for you
          http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...oops-Pair.html
          You just pop the hood or trunk and then put it in there, close it and you have a loop to tie to.
          Congrats on the new boat.
          John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
          Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

2015 Outback rigging

That's a clean instal. I like that the rudder control and FF are right there next to each other. Since your hand is already right there steering, navigating the screen is a finger length away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by jsnyd86; 08-04-2015, 04:37 PM.
            -Jon
            Revo 13

Comment

Working...
            X