Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night Fishing Near Ft. Armistead Area

Hi Guys,

I joined snagged line a month ago and have enjoyed reading up on all the local Chesapeake knowledge since I am new to Maryland and the Bay.

I have been out a bunch of times and I've had great success with perch and Rockfish, but nothing in the plus size range.....yet, I hope to change this ASAP. I was wondering if anyone knows any good places for a night/dusk launch other than SPSP. I live in Glen Burnie and Fort Armistead is the closest option but from what I have seen and read, probably not the most ideal for a night launch. There's a ton of bait and shallow rocky points that would probably produce at night but I don't think its worth the risk.

Any thoughts on easy to launch/safe places near Glen Burnie area?

Thanks guys!

Alex

I tried launching around 10 pm on a Sunday on a private launch near Round Bay in the Severn a couple seasons ago. I believe it was around a full moon on a mostly clear nite.

Maybe it's my sixty something year old eyes, but I never felt comfortable in the low light situation. I could barely see where the lure dropped in the water on a cast. Then I took my sunglasses off (just kidding).

I would generally avoid kayak fishing at night, unless you are VERY familiar with the bottom where you plan to try it, AND have a buddy within earshot. Even then, everything looks different at night.

On second thought, even with a buddy in familiar waters so many things could go wrong. All you need to do is hit some rocks unexpectedly, capsize, and head your head in a rock, making it a life or death rescue situation for a buddy.
    Last edited by Fishinfool; 07-30-2015, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice..... what can I say I like to live dangerously haha.

I agree I need to familiarize myself with the areas during the day and use the navionics to check depths, etc.... more importantly avoid areas littered with crab lines!

At night I would stay inland and avoid the high current areas. I've gotten myself into a few scary situations in daylight.... I don't need anymore close calls that's for sure.

I appreciate the words of caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
        I tried launching around 10 pm on a Sunday on a private launch near Round Bay in the Severn a couple seasons ago. I believe it was around a full moon on a mostly clear nite.

Maybe it's my sixty something year old eyes, but I never felt comfortable in the low light situation. I could barely see where the lure dropped in the water on a cast. Then I took my sunglasses off (just kidding).

I would generally avoid kayak fishing at night, unless you are VERY familiar with the bottom where you plan to try it, AND have a buddy within earshot. Even then, everything looks different at night.

On second thought, even with a buddy in familiar waters so many things could go wrong. All you need to do is hit some rocks unexpectedly, capsize, and head your head in a rock, making it a life or death rescue situation for a buddy.
        This boat hit a barrier to the Key Bridge in the dark at 3:00 a.m. last Monday. The boat then continued on to hit Fort Caroll. Two people died.

boat_crash_bd1443d4397b3a49b9559f6ddf6d00a7.nbcnews-ux-600-700.jpg

The bridge barrier and the fort won the battle with the boat.

Fort Armistead is between those two structures. A kayak would not do as well as the bridge and fort in a nighttime encounter with a boat. If the operator did not see the bridge barrier he surely wouldn't have seen a kayak in the darkness.

Fishinfool's points belie his onscreen name. There's nothing foolish about his advice!
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I did see that. That's a very unfortunate event for people to lose their lives like that.

Maybe I'll keep it to early dawn and bring it by dusk to play it safe until I become more familiar with the waters around here.

Comment

In addition to the on-water risks at night, consider the onshore risks of using a launching location and leaving a parked vehicle. I have limited familiarity with Ft Armistead but suggest that you investigate the safety aspects of being there at night.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
            X