anchor trolley reccomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anchor trolley reccomendations

I need to install 2 anchor trolley systems & have looked at many videos & suggestions. I thought I had seen & saved a good comparison between 2 commercial products where 1 was significantly better. Anything will be better than a fixed position anchor. Are there any specific recommendations of what to get, consider or what to avoid? I do like buying local when I can, but can find good prices online, but is it more cost efficient to create my own from local hardware stores? I need to purchase some more padeyes & trigrip rivets anyways.

thanks
    Red 2015 Hobie Outback
    Olive 2015 PA 14

I personally do not use an anchor trolley on my kayaks when fishing in this area. I do use a trolley when fishing the flats in Florida. I can refer you to a video that shows how to install a trolley. I know Sam Ledford, the guy in the video. I have visited the store where he works in Clearwater, FL on several occasions. The guide featured in the video is my friend and frequent Tampa area guide, Neil Taylor.

http://www.nativewatercraft.com/video.cfm?id=86
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

There are plenty of kayak anchor trolley kits on the market. Any should work fine. I feel harken pulleys are the best money can buy, so that is what I use. http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...ulley-Kit.html

I would suggest these pulleys, a nylon ring, and some 550 cord. You can sew the the connections with braided fishing line and shrink wrap them or this time around I found these instead to make the connections: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Blackburn...2-10/100172350

Comeonfish made his anchor trolleys with just pad eyes and weedwacker line, making the connections with the type of crimps you use on heavy gauge wire leader. I like his setup, but I already had the harken pulleys laying around.

Comment

I realize the topic is a little older, but since you have a Hobie it's worth pointing out that the newer Hobies have built in hard points for an anchor trolley which eliminates the need to drill through the hull (nice!). You can just bolt on the trolley kit. Takes about 30 minutes. You can build your own trolley kit, or you can buy one, but as long as you have the correct bolt size you should be square.

Personally I think it would be worthwhile to use the existing hard points since they are already ideally placed.
        I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
        Garmin Echomap 93sv
        RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

I think that is on the PAs only. On a 2015 outback, you could use the existing grab handle pad eyes and add a pad eye in the middle.

Comment

thanks! yes I went with the hobie kit & they fit very nicely on the PA.
            Red 2015 Hobie Outback
            Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

I have a kit you can take off my hands. Feel free to contact me about it if needed.
              Zach Bennett
              Linthicum MD
              2014 Hobie Outback
              Instagram: YakinZak
              Youtube: YakinZak
              Email: Yakinzak@gmail.com

Comment

thanks, but i purchased the hobie kit & am very happy.
                Red 2015 Hobie Outback
                Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Working...
                X