Suggestions for kayakers from USCG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for kayakers from USCG

I found this & can't say i had ever seen this before. Some very good suggestions.
    1. label paddles with name & ph#
    2. label kayak with name & phone #

if either are found, it can ease return, but more importantly save the Coast guard hours looking for us if a yak broke free.

http://www.canoekayak.com/touring-ka...3KiXAOA2dzk.97
    Red 2015 Hobie Outback
    Olive 2015 PA 14

The article is 3 years old. Not sure if "Operation Paddle Smart" is still active. But the message is still valid.
    If your boat is not registered than its definitely a good idea.
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I think it is still valid:

http://annapoliscgaux.org/Paddlecraft/PaddleSmart.pdf
      Red 2015 Hobie Outback
      Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Last year I ordered some of those Paddle Smart stickers. I never got any. After seeing this post, I decided to make my own. I had some extra luggage tags with a thin plastic strap. I wrote name and phone number on them and attached them inside the front hatch of one kayak and inside storage bins on the other two kayaks.

For the paddle, I wrote name and phone number on the yellow reflective tape I put on both blades.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

We used to give them out for free at EMS. I will see if I can get some more and let everyone know.
          Bruce

Hobie PA 14
          Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

One morning down at SPSP the USCG Axillary were doing random "inspections" and handing those stickers out. I filled it out thinking it was a great idea and the damn thing fell off of my kayak after a day. I had it inside a hatch (slightly textured) so it would stay safe(ish) from salt and water but it wasn't enough. Be picky where you put those stickers, I need to get some more to try a few different locations.
            - Justin
            2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
            2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
              We used to give them out for free at EMS. I will see if I can get some more and let everyone know.
              I have called the Coast Guard and they will be getting back to me with availability. I will let everyone know when I get my hands on a pile
              Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Seems that the stickers were all made with grant money and are hard to come by. They will be sending what they can pull together when the can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have yet to hear back from the USCG about any further supply of these stickers despite following up several times. I am going to assume they are not available for now.

If I hear anything definitive, I will let you all know.
                  Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

I also asked for stickers when this thread was posted, and haven't had a response. Last weekend at SPSP the C. G. Aux. was doing courtesy checks and went over our kayaks. When they were finished they handed us an orange ID sticker for each. Maybe the Coasties will come thru in the mail.

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
                      I have yet to hear back from the USCG about any further supply of these stickers despite following up several times. I am going to assume they are not available for now.
                      There are numerous label makers on the market.

I have one made by Brother.

The labels I have for my machine are waterproof. I've had one on my kayak for over a year. It's actually on the outside of the hull (to cover up a scratch) and it remains steadfast. I don't know if the USCG sticker provides a serial number for tracking but I suspect your name, address, telephone number and/or email would be sufficient to get a lost kayak back to you.

I also put a label on my dry box in case that would somehow float away.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                        There are numerous label makers on the market.

I have one made by Brother.

The labels I have for my machine are waterproof. I've had one on my kayak for over a year. It's actually on the outside of the hull (to cover up a scratch) and it remains steadfast. I don't know if the USCG sticker provides a serial number for tracking but I suspect your name, address, telephone number and/or email would be sufficient to get a lost kayak back to you.

I also put a label on my dry box in case that would somehow float away.
                        Are they special labels that are designated as waterproof or are the all that way?
                        Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

I use Brother "P-touch" laminated labels.

They're available at Office Depot, Amazon, etc.

Here is a description of their properties:

http://www.brother-usa.com/supplies/...s#.Vc-CTpdSI8I
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

This is what the CG Aul. gave me. It's made of the same material as the stickers on your license plates.

Comment

I just got in 100 of the "If Found - Contact" stickers from the USCG. They are HARD to come by. Come in to EMS Annapolis and ask the Mgr on Duty for them. Limit 4 / person please
                              Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Working...
                              X