Night kayakfishing 7/26 & 7/28 Eastern shore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night kayakfishing 7/26 & 7/28 Eastern shore

Again, I would snooze after work during the heat of the day, then conduire over the BB after rush hour & as the sun is setting. Not bothering to keep any fish, I launched between 10:30 & 11pm & casted til 2/2:30am, then drove straight to work after breakfast & napping til punch-in time.
    Both times this week did not disappoint. I cast to structure & where I see birds or blowups. I dont use an electric FF. I've been comparing the light-green 10lb Nano braid with 8lb mono. Results: some fish are line-shy. The light-green w/o a clear leader can be seen in the water & I believe it spooks some fish but when I make a million casts, I still connect w/ plenty of fish. The clear mono resulted in many more breakoffs as I didn't use a net...just a wet rag to handle the fish...but I hooked more bigger fish. Sometimes, I would cast & let the de-barbed hook w/ bait sink a bit before reeling it in. That's when I hooked into some heavier horizontal-lined swimmers & perhaps a couple monsters. I enjoy the peacefulness of the Bay & the rivers at this hour....even the osprey do a fly-by to check out the action. I even saw one shooting star when the skies cleared up. Next test will be using dark-green braid(prob Power Pro)& a clear fluorocarbon leader. The bigger fish that I was able to boat & measure were 22",25",& a few 20"s. Twas fun trying to land these fish using the lighter line. Until my next trip...tight lines y'all!

Sounds like you found a great way to beat the crowds and other boat traffic at a time when the fish want to eat. Great job on connecting with the keepers! Which end did you launch from?
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Thanks for the tip whenican. I'll be sure to take that into consideration when I re-spool this winter.
      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Now that's dedication, Whenican. Fishing at night is one thing but to then go straight to work; that's something. Congrats on the catches. I noticed you didn't say where you launched from..... Also, maybe next time you go invite folks. Sounds like fun.
        2015 Outback
        2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

Working...
        X