New to Kayak Fishing and this site...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Kayak Fishing and this site...

Hello guys and girls. I have found this forum about a week ago and took the time to read some of the threads on here so I figure I would join and introduce myself as it seems like a tight group that enjoys the pass time of Kayak fishing. Anyways My name is Rico and I am 28 years old. Been fishing the Bay and surrounding tidal water since I was a kid and love to fish. I recently brought 2 Kayaks from bass pro for my girlfriend and I which seems alot better not having to pay for fishing trips on a head boat etc. Anyways I see there are fishing meet's that are hosted and I would love to take part in. I would also love to find other kayak fishermen to enjoy a day with and maybe learn a thing or two. I have been out about 5 times on my new yak and have done pretty good. So keeping it short I hope to converse with some of you soon.
    Ascend FS10' Sit In Kayak (CAMO) w/Lowrance Elite-4x Chirp Fishfinder w/DownScan Imaging.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return. -Leonardo Da Vinci

Welcome aboard! What part of the bay do you fish? What is your target species?

Pay attention to any trips that are announced on the forum and get out there with folks; don't need to wait for a Meet & Greet. Everyone I've met here has been friendly and welcoming to new folks joining them on the water. If they post a date/time about launching somewhere, they are most likely hoping more folks show up.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Thanks Cowpokey for the welcome. I have fished almost the whole Bay. Usually I'm between the Chesapeake Bay Span Bridge and the Virginia line. Have not been out in the bay yet with my new Yak but plan on hittin SPSP very soon. I am usually after good size Spot, Croaker's and Rock. You can usually find me along the Pax River between Benedict and Soloman's. Went out day before yesterday with a friend and we did pretty good racking up a total of 62 fish. All spot and Croaker's and a few good sized perch. Never really fished freshwater though im really looking into getting ito it and buying more FW gear. I love LMB and SMB videos. Allways looks like a blast to fish. Thanks for the advice in meeting up with folk. I seen a few post here I might reply too.... How about yourself?
      Ascend FS10' Sit In Kayak (CAMO) w/Lowrance Elite-4x Chirp Fishfinder w/DownScan Imaging.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return. -Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

I fish anywhere from the Key Bridge down to Solomans; but spend most of my time between the Bay Bridge (Annapolis) to the Honga River. I grew up a fresh water guy, now I "require" salt.

Edit add: Usually target striper; can't wait for blues to show up in numbers to go along with the line-siders.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

okay cool. I have been chomping at the bit to do some fishing for stripers from my yak. Was thinking about doing some spot on the live line around the bay bridge pilings maybe next weekend or so. How do you normally get them? Live line, Trolling? I have only ever caught them from a charter boat so not sure what the technique is for catching them on a yak. I have mines rigged with a fish finder so I was just going to target some bait spot and fish the pilings. I have caught maybe 9 blues in my life lol so I wouldnt mind brushing up on my blue fishing either.

Comment

What fish finder are you running; does it have GPS/charts built in?

I've really only live-lined little bit (read: a few hours total), mostly around the pilings of the Bay Bridge.

Most of the time I troll with two rods and artificial lures on those.

Planning on fishing Sunday; if the weather cooperates, we'll be launching at Triton. Based on the wind prediction that's out now; I'll be going south east of the launch and see if any of my marks from last year hold fish. I'll be out with my daughter for her first trip "captaining" an Outback on the bay...and I'll be on the "maiden voyage" of the new Outback. That's the plan, I'll post up a rigging thread for the new kayak, and ramble on there for the plan as it develops.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

I'm running the Lowrance Elite-4x Chirp w/ DownScan Imaging. This model does not have GPS/Charts built in though one model up does. Its like the 4x Chirp something. I cant remember. But I usually us a app on my phone for gps just for navigating course line back if need be.

yea the last outing we did I rigged up a troll line just messing around. I wasnt really serious about catching anything at the moment but just went off of the thought and the fact that there were bait fish jumping everywhere around me lol. I figured something must have been chasing them.

Gosh I really wish I could mee you on the water this sunday but the girlfriend and I have to fly out to CA for the weekend to help one of her friends move in. They just got married so I dont reckon she will let me miss it lol. But I am going to go out this friday. BTW where is the Triton Launch you speak of? Eastern Shore?

Comment

Beverly Triton Beach Park.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Oh okay. I see. Right around the corner there I've launched from Mayo Beach. Which I have Marked as a launch spot. Was there just last week. Stayed on the Rhode River though. Didnt head out into the bay.

Comment

Based on your updated signature line; I personally wouldn't launch on the main stem of the bay with a 10' SinK...but that's just me. I have launched from SPSP with a 9' SinK, it was not a comfortable experience, but I still managed to paddle out and around the Sandy Point Lighthouse...by the time I got back to shore I was sure that was not the best idea.

Edit add: when I reference a SinK (Sit in Kayak); mine was a "recreational" SinK...not a touring or sea SinK.
                    Last edited by Cowpokey; 07-29-2015, 12:53 AM.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

Why is that? If you dont mind my asking. As I stated Im new to this. What happened when you made the trip? Was it the rough water, Fast currents etc? He to learn whatever I can.

Comment

Recreational "sit in kayaks" with out a skirt can take on water faster than you can bail them out in rough conditions. They have a very low center of gravity, which is good, but they are also susceptible to flooding. I fished freshwater lakes and reservoirs for many years in MD with that horrible 9' Sink that I had. I had a fish finder, GPS, rod holders, all that stuff. Knowing what I know now, I would have never bought it...but we all have to learn somewhere. A SinK is fine on small bodies of water where wind and waves aren't an issue...well wind is a PITA if you're trying to fish a shoreline in a short yak.

I'm not trying to discourage you. By all means, get out there and fish. Just keep conditions and your kayak "in check" so you stay safe.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

Yea I completely understand. I am always checking the weather, wind and tide conditions. Even up to the point just short of stepping into my yak. Simply put avoid the rough conditions. No im not discouraged at all and Im sure ill feel the same way about the SinK's at some point. But yes safety outweighs fishing anyday. If I even think its going to be the slightest bit of rough I'm not going out. Im so paranoid with it man I'm constantly looking for those fools that come past and not slow down and their wake gets to me lol. Have had that happen too. But I was really surprised at the lack of water entry. Any yes Pax river gets kinda rough too. Again found that out also lol. But all in all we all must pay attention and check weather conditions all the time. After all we are no 100' fishing boat.

Also if you had to do it all over what would you have brought instead of that 9 footer? Or what would you recommend?

Comment

Anything sit on top is a better option. 12 foot would be my preferred length for a paddle SOT; 13.5' or 14' would be better.

With pedals, a wide (read: fat) SOT Hobie Outback is, in my mind, the perfect fishing kayak. I'm picking up a second Outback this weekend, not because of brand loyalty, because they are my boat of choice based on experience. I have friends with pretty much every brand and style of kayak, and I'm staying with the Outback.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                              Anything sit on top is a better option. 12 foot would be my preferred length for a paddle SOT; 13.5' or 14' would be better.

With pedals, a wide (read: fat) SOT Hobie Outback is, in my mind, the perfect fishing kayak. I'm picking up a second Outback this weekend, not because of brand loyalty, because they are my boat of choice based on experience. I have friends with pretty much every brand and style of kayak, and I'm staying with the Outback.
                              Yea I was going to get the Ascend FS12T SOT yak but they were out at the moment. That's the one I really wanted too. I will most likely look at getting another one next season and keep these 2 SinKs for the kids to learn.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X