Good hands today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good hands today

Ken kayak, yak67, J. Reich, and myself launched about 7 from Goodhands. When we made it to the mouth ken picked up a little over a 20 " striper. Now Ken ended up with about 25 stripers for the day when he hit a school of them off the end and bay side of Hog island. He had multiple rods going down at once. Gary picked up at least a 15 " fish earlier in the morning but not sure his total. John caught many smaller fish but also not sure of total. I caught a 20+ striper on the front of the wall near the narrows and had a very large hit soon after next to the wall but missed it but too close to the wall for a ray. Caught many smaller fish around 12" or so during the morning. Lost some paddle tails to what I believe were a school of blues. MANY CNR's around on the surface and with some luck missed hooking them. Weather and water were great. Went in around 10:30.

Good job guys. Sounds like some larger fish have moved in since last week. Wish I could have been there today.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

image.jpgThank you fishing together with you. I really have fun and enjoy to catch fish today and I hope can see you guy in the water fishing again.
      2014 Hobie Outback
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2015 CBKA Fishing Tournament
      2nd PLACE
      Slam Division

Comment

Sounds like a fruitful day! Wish I could have joined you. Looking forward to revisiting there sometime soon.
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Well done guys. I've never managed to find many fish there, and no keepers for sure.

Ken, I think I saw that picture before. Haha!
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Nicely done guys.

Outback 2015
            Maui

Comment

Thanks Harry for helping me out during my "Rookie" season. The paddle tail you gave me worked great, and I caught my first Rock fish from a kayak! Thanks to the other guys for hanging out. This forum is great! Great info and Great people.
              Yak67
              2015 Hobie PA-14

Comment

No problem, glad you had a good time.

Comment

Congrats on the keeper Ken, sounds like a great time gentlemen!
                  2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

I was unable to go with the group yesterday, but took advantage of the low winds this morning. I launched at Goodhands at 7:00 am to mostly sunny but hazy skies, and hot and humid weather. The tide was dropping but was still fairly high.

I trolled 4 lines with 3" paddletails on three of them and a 4.5" paddletail on the fourth. The water was slick calm. I could see bait popping all over, and saw many wakes from fish scooting out of my way as I approached. I followed my usual course but tried to narrow my depth range so that I was between 3 and 4 ft depth most of the time. Occasionally I strayed a bit outside that range and did hook fish in depths as low as 2.8 ft and as high as 5.2 ft.

After 15 mins, I had caught a fish on each of the four rods (this is not always the case -- often one rod is a clear favorite that day). My third fish of the day was the largest at 22". I trolled back and forth for about 3 hours and ended with 22 stripers caught and at least 6 other strikes that did not make it to the boat. Although the largest was 22", the hardest pull was from a chunky 19" fish. It hit the right rear rod. I took the rod from the rod holder and tried to wind. It took some extra effort to move the fish, and by then the bow had shifted around somewhat. I was concerned that the line might tangle with one of the other lines. I pointed the rod straight up and raised my arm as high as I could. I was still pedaling along in my Slayer Propel 10. The fish ran 360 deg around the boat -- by lifting the rod tip high, I was able to guide the line around the other rods.

By 10:00 I was beat and drenched with perspiration. I called it quits and was home with the gear rinsed and put away by 11:00.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I should have added that the 22" fish hit a bucktail made by Mark (a beautiful On the Mark lure) with a Fat Sam mullet paddletail. After unhooking the fish, I noticed a bunch of short white fibers floating on the water. Many of the bucktail hairs had been knocked loose by the fight. I continued fishing the follically-challenged lure -- by the end of the trip, the hair was gone.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John,

No problem. I can give the jig facelift and a new wig.

Congrats on the catch.

It's great to hear that decent fish have moved into that area.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Sounds like you had a great morning and glad you caught some fish!
                          Yesterday we also found MANY schools of baitfish. Did you find any CNR's?

Comment

Congrats! Being new to the area I don't know where that is going out with you guys on the Meet and Greet was the furthest south I've been fishing and have been mostly just fishing around the Kent Island area and the Chesapeake Bridge.
                            Drive it like you stole it!
                            2011 Hobie PA 14

Comment

Originally posted by Bohunr View Post
                              Congrats! Being new to the area I don't know where that is going out with you guys on the Meet and Greet was the furthest south I've been fishing and have been mostly just fishing around the Kent Island area and the Chesapeake Bridge.
                              It's in your backyard!

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/p...ueenAnnes8.pdf

Give it a try. You won't be disappointed.
                              Mark
                              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                              X