Weems Creek 7/28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weems Creek 7/28

I had my yak on my car from a trip Sunday, so I decided to hit Weems this afternoon before running some errands. The wind and weather seemed perfect and I launched around 11am. I headed up stream and stopped at the first downed tree after the small bridge and caught this guy on my first cast:

I fished that tree for almost 45 min and caught 5-6 more perch around the same size, with this being the largest:

I headed up stream and caught maybe a dozen more perch in the same size range. They were all caught casting to trees or rocks along the shore. I never found a spot as fruitful as that first tree and never caught more than two at any one spot. They were all caught on a 1/8oz Woodies spinner. I also observed quite a few small pickerel following my lure back to the boat. Baitfish/fry also seemed plentiful, with some shaded coves having huge schools moving through them.

An otherwise fine day was somewhat marred by the frustration of several large fish throwing the hook before I could boat them. On maybe a dozen occasions, I hooked up with something powerful enough to bend my Light rod almost double. I would set the hook (or so I believed) and begin to fight the fish in. Every time it would manage to throw the hook, sometimes right at the side of my yak. The Woodies spinner has a very small hook, so I tried upsizing to a Strike King spinner with a larger hook, but naturally I never got a hit on it. Returning to the Woodies, I began to catch again, but would again loose fish.

I am not sure what was happening. I suspect that I am not setting the hook hard enough, but on each occasion I was able to fight the fish for a time, and I am unsure if a perch would really hold a hard lure for so long. My rod is a 5'6" Tsunami 5 Star Light weight. The speed isn't listed, but it flexes maybe 1/3 of it's length when the tip is loaded. I would love to hear any theories as to what is going on.

In any case, it was a lovely day on the water and I will be sure to be back to Weems soon if this fine weather continues.
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

Good to hear about you being on the water !
    I couldn't really tell you much about the equipment situation... I've only caught one pickerel... maybe you had them on the line... they sure are fighters... and could be that was the larger fish you had snagged.

The spinners and jigs I've been catching perch on are pretty small. Probably smaller than the one in your picture. But if you have seen the size of the Johnson Beetle spinner rigs you can buy at Dick's for $1.50.. that's the size I have been using.

Comment

Pickerel are present in Weems and have a knack for tossing hooks. Their jaws are very hard and bony and they can spit a hook even after being on the line for a while. They would be my guess at your frustration.

Congrats on your Weems' perch catches.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I launched into Weems at 3:15 to fish upstream from the launch for just over an hour. I threw primarily a Bignose spinner (very similar to the Woody's spinner thrown by bunnielab) and caught 10-15 perch. Nearly all were above 7" and were fat. One whopper was probably 11". Those big perch can pull hard on a light or ultralight rod.

Regarding your powerful mystery fish, I have caught pickerel to 24" and rockfish to 20" in Weems. They pull hard but run around a bit. I have seen cow nose rays in there, but not recently. A few years ago I caught a 20"+ channel cat in Weems. Both the ray and the catfish are strong and pull hard but tend not to make fast runs -- they just start pulling. Those missed mystery fish are frustrating but they give an incentive to try again another day.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Fish I never land are always bigger than the ones I do.

Nice perch.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I had considered pickerel as the culprit, but wasn't sure if they were still active this time of year. I had some success last winter catching them with small plastic minnows like this:

Next time I am out I will bring a second rod with one rigged.

John, I must have missed you by a few minutes. I neglected to bring a bottle of water with me and when the river water started looking inviting I decided to call it a day.
            Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
            Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
              I had considered pickerel as the culprit, but wasn't sure if they were still active this time of year.
              They have remained more active (catchable) later this year than in past years. Could be the persistent rains, the relative lateness of the white perch to arrive in their familiar haunts or just their sheer numbers. In any case, they have been willing to bite baits like the one in your photo, jig spinners and even rise to poppers in the Severn's tributaries long into the spring and summer. They're a surprise when you're expecting a perch.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Make sure your hook is sharp. I carry a sharpener and check them regularly. Doesn't completely solve the problem, but with sharp hooks and a good hook-set you'll land more fish.

Comment

Make sure the barb isn't worn out.
                  Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
                  2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Thanks for report. Where are you buy that woodies spinner, if you don't mind
                    Last edited by Ken kayak; 07-30-2015, 05:11 PM.
                    2014 Hobie Outback
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2015 CBKA Fishing Tournament
                    2nd PLACE
                    Slam Division

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                      Fish I never land are always bigger than the ones I do.
                      I like that thought!
                      Kinda like the one armed fisherman who caught one "that" long!

Looking at your lure, is the barb mashed down?
                      That may cause the "professional releases."

Generally, if you maintain the tension, the fish will seldom come unbuttoned. Perch tend to slam lures hard, and I never really need to set the hook. Most likely a pickerel or small rockfish. Both are a bit harder to hook up because of their harder mouths.
                      What pound test line are you using?
                      I routinely use a 12 lb. mono leader tied to 10 lb. braid. The fish are not leader shy, and if you are throwing into wood and under docks, you need something a little more abrasion resistant.
                      Last edited by bignose; 07-30-2015, 07:09 PM.

Comment

I don't believe the barb is mashed down, it is just obscured by a bit of flash. The rod I was using is spooled with 20lb braid, which I think is too heavy but I am too cheap to replace it before it gets some more wear on it.

I will admit to never sharpening hooks, but until recently I could never keep a lure long enough to require it. Can I just use a small stone, or do I need a special tool?

Ken, the Woodies spinners are available at Marty's in Mayo and Anglers on Rt50. They have a very sporadic stock so it will be a crap shoot to try and find them. I have a small stash from the winter flea markets. Bignose also makes some fine spinners in a similar style which I also have a few of. I keep them all in the same little box and it's somewhat random which one gets tied on when it is perch time.

I want to get back out to Weems, but the heat has made me lazy of late.
                        Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                        Lime Slayer 10

Comment

bunnielab,

I carry a small stone made for sharpening hooks. It has a groove in it to guide the point appropriately across the stone. Unfortunately, I cannot remember where I got it I've had it for so long. But the advice about sharp hooks is important. Even hooks on brand new lures that have never been wet sometimes need a touch up with the stone.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Perfect timing with this report! I'm taking my brother-in-law up Weems (from Jonas) Saturday AM for his first time kayak fishing. I have a tackle box full of spinners ready for action, to include a bunch from Bignose so I think we'll be good!
                            - Justin
                            2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
                            2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

Sunday 8/02. I luanch at Jonas green park and go Weem creek fish for WP. I got 17 perch with Bignose lures bignose spinner. Thank you your lures Bignose
                              2014 Hobie Outback
                              2016 Hobie Outback
                              2015 CBKA Fishing Tournament
                              2nd PLACE
                              Slam Division

Comment

Working...
                              X