Reds/Specks. Long dry spell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reds/Specks. Long dry spell

Up until last year Maryland was having a resurgent fishery of Redfish and speckled trout- then came a very hard, cold winter with fish kills all the way to south side Tidewater...Lynnhaven had so many dead belly up floating speckled trout that it was described as masses of dead fish...and our mid bay fishing for these two species has basically completely dried up- I have caught a total of two small speckled trout this year and zero redfish...resulting in me pretty much staying at home until the weather/season changes- I am not much into perch and croaker fishing, so that doesn't get me up early and out on the water...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Thanks for the report. It saves me time and money as I usually make a long tow to catch specks. Guides from Md.'s eastern shore are reporting the same. Barring another very cold winter I guess it will take a few years for the fishery to rebuild. Aside from those a holes they caught in the Elizabeth River last winter they can't blame it on overfishing.

Comment

The speckled Trout can be cyclic in this area of the bay. I have caught small specs and numerous small grey trout. Hopefully their numbers will increase up into Sept. Even though they are small They are around in numbers as the summer rolls out. I have found them around point lookout at tanners creek along with juvenile black drum and they only bit on blood worms. Also I have found them around crab pots and pound nets drifting shrimp and blood worms also jigging a small ball jig. I will try for reds and specs at one of my favorite spots late in sept and oct in a small weed cove and they trap and feed on small minnows. I posted pics last year of several small specs and puppys from that location. hopefully they will be there this fall.

Comment

I have my fingers crossed. I've been mainly fresh water fishing until last year and really trying to jump in head first but it seems to be a tough time all around. Hard to tell if it's just me or the harsh winters. Luckily my friend El NiƱo is coming through and should give us a light winter. That could really help. That's my hope anyway [emoji120]🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        -Jon
        Revo 13

Comment

Working...
        X