No announcement yet.

Didn't see that one coming!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I appreciate everyone's feedback and concern.. it really was a bizarre incident. I really had a PT109 vision before I hit the water. Now, i'm just reflecting on the fact that I didn't panic. I couldn't surface, came up under the kayak, moved it, surfaced. Needed to get the paddle!! Got it. Flip the kayak... Done....get back on top......not easy, but up....now.....WTF just happened..... Anyway, I'll be back out there next week. Maybe the gods of kayak fishing will bless me with a keeper rock or two.
    Thanks gang!
    ORANGE NATIVE MANTA RAY 11

Comment

Glad you are ok.

You can only hope that he would feel very sorry for your lost gear and offer to compensate you after nearly taking your life. Unfortunately, the law is probably not on your side and don't expect the authorities to do anything about it if you were to report it. It is not the same as getting hit by a vehicle while crossing the road in a crosswalk. One thing to note is if you are involved in a collision and someone is seriously injured, it is mandatory that the parties involved notify the coast guard.

Reading the other comments and just wanted to warn that you should not expect boaters to see you no matter how bright your kayak or apparel, no matter how loud you blow your whistle. You need to be aware of your surroundings at all times. Always carry a small air horn in addition to your whistle if you are going out on open water. Try to make eye contact if a boater approaches and make sure they see you if possible. Try to get out of their way if you can...again don't expect them to see you. The newer 4 stroke engines keep getting quieter...I have had boaters creep up on me from behind and don't even realize they are right on top of me. Most boaters I encounter are very courteous. But some are real turds and will mess you just for fun because you are out there in a little plastic boat and they don't think you should be there. This guy was probably just messing with his crab traps and really did not see you , but it is also very possible he got pissed about you crabbing on his turf or something and ran you over on purpose...but good luck proving it.

Comment

Scary stuff. I get worried when I see boats plow thru the CBBT without slowing down. Glad wasn't worse outcome. Definitely getting another flag up.

Comment

I carry 4 flare launchers in my PFD and have used them to warn off boats in the past. One was a harbor police officer doing about 50 in a river. I was paddling and in the middle and he was dead on me and not turning. I fired off a flare and he pulled the power off immediately. I explained that I was in fear of a collision cause he wasn't moving and I couldn't paddle fast enough to get out of his way. He said "he didn't see me" and actually apologized.

I almost did the same thing to a DNR boat in the Severn but he saw me waving the flare before I had a chance to shoot it. He was speeding like all get out too which makes those rigid inflatables nose high and harder to see low down boats.

I think he had come to Jesus moment when he did see me. He must have been thinking about it for a while because his speed was down for the rest of the day.

You do have to keep your head on a swivel, especially around Annapolis on weekends.

John
          John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
          MK Endura Max 55 backup power
          Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

That's pretty serious, glad you're alright.
            Brian

Comment

Wow, that is wild, it's very lucky you were not hurt. Powerboats are my biggest fear out on the water and a huge reason I really only go out on weekdays or rainy weekends.

Originally posted by john from md View Post
              I carry 4 flare launchers in my PFD and have used them to warn off boats in the past.
              John
              I have a flare launcher I bought a few years ago but I think it is a bit large for kayak use
              Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
              Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Darryl -

I am relieved that you are safe. You proved to yourself that you could remain calm under pressure -- that is a silver lining for today's experience.

If you have the name of the boat that struck your kayak, it would be worth your while to initiate some conversations with the captain. At a minimum he should provide compensation for the gear that you lost. It is probably a good idea to notify the DNR marine police about the incident too.

I hope you have no lasting injuries, aches, or pains from the experience.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                  Darryl -

I am relieved that you are safe. You proved to yourself that you could remain calm under pressure -- that is a silver lining for today's experience.

If you have the name of the boat that struck your kayak, it would be worth your while to initiate some conversations with the captain. At a minimum he should provide compensation for the gear that you lost. It is probably a good idea to notify the DNR marine police about the incident too.

I hope you have no lasting injuries, aches, or pains from the experience.

I have a boat and as a kayaker, I'm amazed at how hard it is to see kayaks. I honestly don't think the color of the yak is all that important. I see the paddles moving first, then a flag and last the kayak. Honestly, in my 21ft boat I have moments with other boaters are close. Never assume they can see you. And if they are getting close wave the paddles.
                  Cuda 14
                  Big tuna

Comment

glad you are ok, it is a worry of mine. especially when i stupidly bought a greenish or olive boat. I knew i shoulda gotten red or yellow.
                    I'm pretty sure in md, you are responsible for what your boat does. I remeber years ago hearing no matter what the speed limit- you are responsible for your wake. I'd contact marine police/DNr & at least get it on record & your insurance company.
                    Red 2015 Hobie Outback
                    Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Glad to hear you're okay. And good job on staying calm and getting back in the kayak. If it were me regardless if it were an accident or not id call DNR on him. Someone like that has no business operating a vessel of any sort.
                      Zack
                      Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                      Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                      "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by Longtrav View Post
                        I have a boat and as a kayaker, I'm amazed at how hard it is to see kayaks. I honestly don't think the color of the yak is all that important. I see the paddles moving first, then a flag and last the kayak. Honestly, in my 21ft boat I have moments with other boaters are close. Never assume they can see you. And if they are getting close wave the paddles.
                        Powerboats have NO TROUBLE seeing us when we're catching fish...must be selective sight.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                          Powerboats have NO TROUBLE seeing us when we're catching fish...must be selective sight.
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                          Zack
                          Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                          Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                          "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Wow close call.
                            Glad your ok.
                            2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                            2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky_Frog View Post
                              Scary stuff. I get worried when I see boats plow thru the CBBT without slowing down. Glad wasn't worse outcome. Definitely getting another flag up.
                              You really do need to keep your head on a swivel at cbbt. There was some guy in a big cigar boat last weekend flying through the pilings. At least you could hear him coming. And at least we have the pilings to duck behind at cbbt. I get more worried out in open water. I have probably fished cbbt over 40 days and maybe it is just me, but boaters seem way nicer and more courteous at cbbt than pretty much anywhere I fish. The majority of them seem to watch out for kayakers and try to avoid throwing huge wakes on us.

I really like that idea about carrying flares. I think I am going to get me some flares to carry from now on. The coast guard aux did a safety check on me recently and that was the only thing on his list that I did not have with me.
                              Last edited by JohnE; 07-29-2015, 07:18 AM.

Comment

My theory is; (and remember this was a work boat) the dude picked up his gear, plotted his course, put it on auto-pilot and started sorting and culling his crabs.
                                I will have my flag flying every time I'm out there from now on, but if the crabber isn't even looking, that would help either.

It wasn't some power boater flying across the water.

As far as notifying the DNR or other authorities, I was so stunned that I didn't get the name of the boat. All I know is the port of call was Centerville.

Anyway, it's all good. Can't wait to get back out there.
                                ORANGE NATIVE MANTA RAY 11

Comment

Working...
                                X