Didn't see that one coming!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Didn't see that one coming!!!

So, this morning, I'm out on the Chester in front of Queen's landing. I dropped a couple of crab traps and paddled out to the drop off

It's quiet and calm. There are a couple of work boats around. They're hundreds of yards away from me. I think I have a good system working. I'm trolling the drop off. Marking fish and bait. Go back once in awhile to check the traps. (empty btw)

I decided to put the rest of my chicken necks in both traps, drop them back down and paddle out again to fish. Like I said, it nice and calm. I was watching baitfish break now and then, being chased by what I'm sure were blues. Here is where it gets interesting.

I'm drifting, pondering changing to a spoon. I hear a work boat getting close, but don't really give it much thought. No it's getting closer and closer. I'm not too concerned. I was thinking he might want to come by and ask me about kayak fishing. Then I was thinking he wants to be a smart ass and come by really close. At this point I realize just how close he is. I no sooner turn to look over my shoulder when BAM.. The S O B RUNS ME OVER!!!!

I'm in the water, my kayak turned over. On my first attempt to surface, I was under the yak. Got clear. Came up. First thought.... find the paddle before it sinks. Got it. I was able to flip the kayak and get back on board. The captain of the work boat was nice enough to stop and ask me if I was alright. He even grabbed some of my floating stuff.... hat, tackle boxes

He then told my how he didn't see me. IT'S AN ORANGE KAYAK...I'M WEARING AN ORANGE SHIRT AND A FLORESCENT GREEN HAT. MY WIFE CAN SEE ME FROM OUR CONDO He just plane wasn't looking where he was going. Probably sorting his crabs.

I lost three rods. None of them very expensive, although One was an old St. Croix that I've had for a long time. Never got around to putting floats on them.

Could have been a lot worse I suppose. OH yea......no fish, no crabs
    ORANGE NATIVE MANTA RAY 11

Glad you're alright! A few poles is a cheap price to pay.
    -Jon
    Revo 13

Comment

If the Captain was nice he would have bought you new rods for almost killing you. I guess you can count your blessings that he even turned around to check on your welfare instead of speeding away.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I do realize that it could have been much worse.. All in all, I'm good!

Comment

Damn that is scary, glad your OK. Did the yak get damaged?
          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Glad to hear you are ok!
            WS ATAK

Comment

I'm glad you didn't get hurt from that incident. I carry a blow horn tethered to my pfd just in case I see a boat getting near me. Whistle's are useless IMO. Motor boats are too noisy to hear it. You have a better chance with a blow horn. You never know what some of these boaters are up to. Always be aware of your surrounding as they won't necessarily.

Outback 2015
              Maui

Comment

Wow! I am always afraid they don't see me, which is why I hate when they get so close. You just don't know if they are oblivious or just don't feel like taking a little extra room. I gotta believe he's liable for your rods. On the road, you can't just run into someone's care and say sorry I didn't see you and go on your merry way. Glad you're ok man, that's rough.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

no it seems fine.

Comment

QUOTE=Yak Fish;116231]Wow! I am always afraid they don't see me, which is why I hate when they get so close. You just don't know if they are oblivious or just don't feel like taking a little extra room. I gotta believe he's liable for your rods. On the road, you can't just run into someone's care and say sorry I didn't see you and go on your merry way. Glad you're ok man, that's rough.[/QUOTE]

I think once I was back on top of the yak, I was just stunned. I didn't know what to say. I'm still stunned

Comment

I'd have to agree; at a minimum they owe you for anything that was lost or damaged.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Wow, that story sucked! Glad you are OK.... Any chance you got his numbers?
                        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Glad you are OK.You always have to keep your eyes on those boaters.Sounds like he was baiting his line not paying attention.
                          2012 hobie outback
                          2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Glad that you are O.K.
                            I'd have notified the DNR and Coast Guard and filed a report with both.

Comment

Glad you're okay. How scary.
                              Michael
                              Washington, DC
                              2015 Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X