No announcement yet.

Bay Bridge 7/29. First time questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Bridge 7/29. First time questions.

I have fished from Jonas Green a few times with some success and have had the Bay Bridge trip on my wish list for a while. I am planning to head down from PA tomorrow morning. I plan to launch from Sandy Point but have not been there since I was a kid, 35 years ago. Should I launch from the main launch area, or go to the beach area to launch? I have a Hobie Outback. Any map pics of where to park and launch would be great! Also, how do you pay to get in the park at 0530-0600? Also as for gear, I planned to just use jig heads with 4-6" soft plastics, maybe hitting Anglers when they open at 0500 to gear up. Suggestions? I mostly just fish fresh water up here in PA. Any other pointers are appreciated.

I have a whistle, always wear my vest, and have a VisiCarbon flag/light. Just checking to make sure no new laws changed down there regarding required safety gear.

Thanks.
    Hobie Outback

Ken Smith

Ken,

Read the post from Keahyun; he just asked somewhat the same question and you will see a map Cowpokey posted in that thread. I always go to the ramp. Plenty of parking and easy access. The beach is a LONG way to lug a kayak. Gate opens at 6am. Soft plastics work well, or live lining at the pillars works well too. That's if you can catch a spot small enough. They've been kinda big the last couple of years. Perch are there, so you may want to bring along some spinners for them.
    Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
    Cobra Explorer

Comment

I thought the gate opened at 7am with an attendant? At any rate, there is a money machine so you can pay the $3 fee at the gate and the arm will raise for you to drive in.

As Peggy mentioned, use the boat ramp, go all the way to the east end, plenty of parking right at the ramp, especially during the week.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
        I thought the gate opened at 7am with an attendant?
        I took this off the website "6 a.m. to Sunset, April 1-October 31"

Always good to double check though - http://dnr2.maryland.gov/publiclands...andypoint.aspx
        Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
        Cobra Explorer

Comment

Always best to check the source's website.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have close to a two hour drive, so it will be an early start for me. I will pick up some blood worms, Bass Assassins and such in the morning. I just want to get out there and give it a try. Just some perch would be fine but a big striper would make my day. Hopefully no skunk, but I will report back tomorrow.
            Hobie Outback

Ken Smith

Comment

Attendant is usually there at 6am in the summer... Automated money machine... for early arrivals.
              From the website... "Boating - 24 hr. access year-round"

Comment

For Spot...
                I would suggest Fish Bites Blood worms.. if you have never used them they are a dream.
                You only need about a quarter inch max on the hook. They are ribbons of mesh with the bloodworm "juice". have a nail clipper or sciroors to cut well.
                Obviously, real live bait is best... but the Fish Bites are so easy to use and they work very well.

You really don't need to go far out to catch spot... it just depends if they are there or not..
                Try going south of the bridge an 1/8 of a mile or so... (if you have fishfinder) start out in 10foot of water.. if you don't catch
                anything in 15 minutes to half hour... go deeper towards the middle of the bay. 15 foot...

http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en...y=ir%60mFpajqM
                Click the button on the lower left of link/chart puts more detail in the chart.. zoom in...

Perch... people catch perch along the pilings of the bridge... close to shore and the jetties.
                Structure, shade.... for perch close to shore... and use a spinner and small jig... and most importantly slow retrieve.
                Go north around the corner of swimming beaches and work the jetties.
                Try to plan your trip to go with the flow of the tide... it's easier than to fight the tide.
                There can be a very swift tide once you get out under the bridge away from shore.

Some pics and notes here...

http://www.mychesapeakebay.net/kayak...oint130904.htm
                Last edited by rob-kayak; 07-28-2015, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Coming back from my trip to Goodhands Creek today with the guys, I saw a kayak out there and said Why Not? The Bay was glass with NO wind, boat traffic was there, but not bad. I paid my $4.00 dollars at the gate and launched from boat area. I kayaked out to the other side of the two spans, near the Bridge admin office? And fished the Rip-Rap wall, not far from the other Kayaker, he was killing the White Perch. I landed one White perch on fish bites, moved around a lot near the shore, checked under the bride spans but no hits. Two hours was fun and got to do it with perfect weather. Headed home a happy camper. I will go back on an early trip when the weather is good like that again.

Yak67
                  2015 Hobie PA-14

Comment

I picked up some blood worms and fish bites to try and catch some spot this morning to live line. I launched around 0630. No luck with spot, only perch. I figured I would see how many perch I could catch before moving out further. I was in about 10 ft of water when the rod went down hard. I was using a small spinner Roadrunner type lure with a piece if worm. Landed an 18" striper that bent the hook straight. Switched to a heavier hook and stayed with the blood worms. Hooked into something big, I'm guessing a CNR, based on how it pulled and how hard it was to get it off the bottom. I tightened the drag and pulled too hard as it neared the pilings. Broke a nice Quantum rod. Oh well, it was a fun fight while it lasted.

Switched to a heavier rod and same set up. Had a striper get off at the side of the kayak, boated another one that was just over 16". After a few more perch I called it a day. All fish released. Mother Nature washed off my gear with a torrential downpour before I crossed the Severn bridge on the way home.

I have a lot to learn. I had something hooked on a chartreuse Gulp 4" minnow on a jig, but it got off. I didn't troll much at all. I just threw toward the north side of the pilings and bounced the bottom back toward the south side for all the hits. Most came in the shadow areas. I will try to make it back down there again this year.
                    Hobie Outback

Ken Smith

Comment

Working...
                    X