Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tough Day at CBBT, July25, 2015

I had a late start.
    I met John, Lucky_Frog, and several yakers, and learned that catching hasn't been good during July. I caught toadfish and sea bass, but no croakers. A friend of Lucky_frog caught a sheepy and a triggerfish on clam. John caught 3 flounders (two were keepers, I heard later).

Went to the first Island. I thought I would see many fish, especially spadefish when I dove. Wrong! I saw no fish to kill except a few schools of small spadefish. I killed 2 spadefish.

Fishing Log for Lucky_Frog:
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 07-28-2015, 06:46 AM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

I was wondering how you did with the spearfishing. I thought you had to head back in sooner and I never saw you come back before I left. I did not catch anything good past second sbc. Maybe if we had been out there earlier in the morning it would have been better.

I hope fishing gets better in August. I think if we get less rain. Took so long for water to warm up back in spring, then way too much rain in June and July.

I spent many hours trying to catch flounder this weekend. I caught about 7 total, but only 2 keepers (there was a third that was so close that some would probably have kept anyway, especially using a tape or some other measuring device, but with mouth closed tight against hawg trough it was missing almost an 1/8 of an inch). I failed to set hook on some more larger flounder and something else spit the hook before I could see what it was (I felt strong head shakes, so maybe black drum?).

I also was catching only bsb when fishing for spadefish. I did feel some stronger tugs on the line, which were likely spades that did not get hooked up. I almost no tugs on my sheep bait all weekend, though I did not spend a whole lot of time fishing for them and I did not fish much past the 1st sbc for long this time.

Comment

Maybe they are taking a break waiting for me to return next weekend!

Those BSB love clams. When I use it, they come out of no where.

Comment

Thanks for the report! Im planning to head down next week or the following week (or both). hope fishing gets better.
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Was nice seeing you out there. Nice report. That was Luckykoi's Sheep. We are going to try again this weekend for 6-6:30 launch. Going to go all clams this time and stick to sheep. Good luck all.

Comment

Isn't 9' visibility good? Well enough to track and shoot.

As said by your video, it will get better. I might be able go down this weekend. If so, can't decide whether to focus on sheeps or flounder.

Thanks for the report.
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
              Isn't 9' visibility good? Well enough to track and shoot.

As said by your video, it will get better. I might be able go down this weekend. If so, can't decide whether to focus on sheeps or flounder.

Thanks for the report.
              9' is the minimum. 12' is considered good at the First Island.

Joe
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky_Frog View Post
                Was nice seeing you out there. Nice report. That was Luckykoi's Sheep. We are going to try again this weekend for 6-6:30 launch. Going to go all clams this time and stick to sheep. Good luck all.
                I may use LuckyKoi's rig next time. I can' fish on Saturday. I may hit CHSP for tautog and triggerfish next time. I will bring a wetsuit and a gun.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                X