Teach a kid to fish......kayak style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teach a kid to fish......kayak style

I was so happy to be asked to teach an eight year old girl to fish from a kayak. Her parents bought the trip at a fundraising auction ...the family likes to paddle but they were thrown when their daughter expressed the desire to fish! We met at Dennis Point Marina, the parents unloaded the most beautiful hand made stitch and glue kayaks. They were so awesome. The little girl would use my wife's Pompano 120. Sadly, I let her use her own paddle which was too short for the wider SOT .....luckily her dad had rigged a tow rope so off we went when she got tired.
    I thought we would bottom fish with hi/low rigs for croaker......croaker are every where this year, right? Well not today, no bites at all! Suddenly, we were surrounded by breaking perch and I tossed my ultra light with a sassy shad and instantly had a fish. I passed the pole to my companion (i had anchored and tied the boats together with a bungee) and she was super happy to reel in a nice perch. She instantly decided she needed to start casting lures....a very decisive, but polite, young lady. "Maybe I should start casting a lure," she said. Ha ha. I have 3 daughters, I knew that meant time to change rigs.
    While her parents circled taking pictures, we had some casting lessons.
    eliecast.jpg

She had a good bite but no hook-up then BOOM I had something big on the ultra light. It took me a second to get it under control before I could pass the pole to my little partner
    eliefishon.jpg

She was more than up to the challenge and soon boated an 18" rockfish (that is about all the fish that little pole can handle)......she was so disappointed to have to turn him loose.
    eliestriper.jpg

After awhile, she hooked her own fish and made an amazing observation...."When you reel and then stop it, that's when the fish bites," she said as she reeled in a nice perch. This gal is gonna make a good angler some day!
    She had been largely unsuccessful casting till I tied the boats together facing opposite directions. She could then cast from her knees, using the seat back for support. That made all the difference. Nice long casts after that. She finally caught a fish that she had cast for, hooked and landed. She even held it by the jaw for a pic! That was one happy girl!
    perchyelie.jpg

Task accomplished, she was ready to go home.........and fix some thumbs up fish tacos!
    Take a kid fishing.....it is a real joy!
    tacos.jpg
    Last edited by kevinfry; 07-28-2015, 05:21 PM.
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

That's pretty darn cute. I am hoping to get my 5 year old daughter out there sometime soon.

Comment

Great work Kevin in introducing a youngster to our sport. You made her day.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

The next generation of fishing and a clean water advocacy is born- great work Kevin- love to teach kids about the great outdoors instead of video games...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

awesome report Kevin! And you made it sound easy while all parents know how much patience was required to make it happen to say nothing of the skill set required to make it happen with kayaks.....nice job!

ST

Comment

What a blessing Kevin! Kids are awesome!

On a side note I too get disappointed now when I have to release an 18" rock! LOL

Sent from Tapatalk
            -Mustafa
            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Great story. It's interesting, I try to find places without croaker and can't and you tried and couldn't. Such is fishing. Glad she got some pullage.
              Mike
              Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Outstanding!
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

That's AWESOME! Love seeing the kids get out there and catch a fish. The big smile says it all. Priceless.

Outback 2015
                  Maui

Comment

Well done! Looking forward to getting out with my daughter this weekend, she's been itching to fish all year.

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                    On a side note I too get disappointed now when I have to release an 18" rock! LOL
                    Just think how many more 20" fish there will be next year...that's what I keep telling myself anyway. LOL
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

awesome story!
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys....I think I had a better time than she did!
                        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                          Take a kid fishing.....it is a real joy!
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]16571[/ATTACH]
                          Nice!! Well done. I would say that she is hooked (pun intended....)
                          Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                          Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

outstanding report!!! I'm smiling from the inside out!! pretty kool!!

Comment

Way cool Kevin. Her smiles tells it all.
                              2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                              Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
                              X