Where to test a Hobie / Get your wife on the water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to test a Hobie / Get your wife on the water

First off, I’m trying to get my wife into kayak fishing and I’m failing miserably. I’m still not sure if this is a blessing or a curse so if any of you have success stories or failures I’d like to hear them. I’m a fan of “30 Miles Out” and when I see all the fun Ty and his wife have camping, fishing, basically getting an all-inclusive “kitchen pass” for fun fishing trips, I want the same thing. She’s not very outdoorsy though, hardly has any fishing experience (working on it), but is open to fishing. She just doesn’t like the kayaking part. I think I’ve boiled it down to her not liking the paddling. She’s open to testing out a peddle system. I probably don’t have to state the obvious, but I think I just opened a door to being the future owner of a Hobie… maybe. She wouldn’t be going out much, but I could keep the seat warm.
    Which brings me to my question. Any recommendations and/or advice for testing out some peddle system kayaks? I like the Outback since there's more room for rigging, but maybe the revo is better for her since it's faster. I’m hoping to test one out same time as her so I can be on the water side by side. I'm living in the Woodbridge area, but could make a trip eventually.
    Last edited by jsnyd86; 07-27-2015, 01:19 PM.
    -Jon
    Revo 13

I got my other half started by lazy tubing. Well she got me started because that was my thought I did not want to paddle. The guy at Backyard boats in Annapolis is great you can call him and set up a demo. My wife will not go by herself so we have a two seats Oasis. I just got a Rev13 and she loved the speed and had a ball while I was in the Oasis until she turtle. Now she won't get in the Rev. It will be my fishing kayak when she don’t won’t to go. There is also a kayak called Watercraft you might look into. Hobie I think is better.(JMHI)
    Last edited by golfmack; 07-27-2015, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Best thing to do is short trips not to far out. My girlfriend is not much on paddling or fishing for that matter but if its not to long of a paddle (less then 2 miles) she is fine. Also she is not a huge fan of lures. So most of the time its just bobber or bottom fishing. But hey its nice getting out together sometimes.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
      Tan-Tarpon 140
      Lime-Pelican Matrix
      Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

Originally posted by golfmack View Post
        The guy at Backyard boats in Annapolis is great you can call him and set up a demo. My wife will not go by herself so we have a two seats Oasis. I just got a Rev13 and she loved the speed and had a ball while I was in the Oasis until she turtle.
        Great, I'll check them out. I think that'll be my next hurdle. Revo or Outback. Fins look more comfortable than the other peddle systems so I think the selection can be cut to just those two.

Originally posted by lovett88 View Post
        Best thing to do is short trips not to far out. My girlfriend is not much on paddling or fishing for that matter but if its not to long of a paddle (less then 2 miles) she is fine. Also she is not a huge fan of lures. So most of the time its just bobber or bottom fishing. But hey its nice getting out together sometimes.
        That's where my wife is at as well, but we're landlocked. I'm hoping a short trip out onto some puppy drum or schoolie stripers will get her hooked and willing to venture further out if I take it slow.
        -Jon
        Revo 13

Comment

Outback, the stability will be more welcome than the little bit of extra speed.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

It sounds like you are leaning towards a Hobie. In case you are willing to look at other options, you may want to check out the Native Slayer Propel 10 -- it is the lightest weight pedal kayak on the market (57 lbs hull weight), is very stable, offers a raised seat, and is very maneuverable.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Cowpokey - Roger that, +1 for Outback.

Thanks, John. I'll keep the slayer on the list of models to check out.
              -Jon
              Revo 13

Comment

Our latest endeavor has been a hobie 17t. So far really like it. The wife likes it a lot also. I find if she doesn't feel like pedaling I'm able to still get us around but she's always willing to pedal if needed. We have had on bay mostly but also Rocky Gap. My kids have also been on and enjoy a lot. The best part I've found is it works great solo. You have a ton of room. The one drawback is it is on a trailer so I am more committed to having to use a boat ramp. I can move the trailer around easily by hand but have not pushed it.

Comment

Maybe take a nice little vacation down to VA beach and rent some Hobies. WRO has revos, outbacks, and even PA available to rent. Head on over to Lynnhaven to try for some pups or flounder, but don't go at low tide and stay away from Lesner bridge. Another great place I can think of off the top of my head would be Delaware. I know DPS has Hobies for rent. I believe both places offer to apply your rental towards purchase if you decide to go for it. There are probably places closer where you could rent one, maybe BYB in Annapolis.
                  Last edited by JohnE; 07-28-2015, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Good idea John. Just so happens that my wife will be driving down there this weekend. We'll try to work out a rental and bring a few poles.

edit: plans got canceled. No trip to VA beach, too bad since it looks like Backyard boats only offers 30 minute demos. I was hoping to get my wife in it for longer than that.
                    Last edited by jsnyd86; 07-28-2015, 02:14 PM.
                    -Jon
                    Revo 13

Comment

Working...
                    X