Bay Bridge 7/25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Bridge 7/25

Goody and I fished the Bay Bridge launching from Terrapin at 6:30 and we both had our limits by 10AM. I had good success trolling around the "chummers-sewer pipe" and Goody worked the pilings. We were able to get off the water a little earlier than usual and avoided the boats and saved some energy for the long drag at Terrapin.

20150725_072022.jpg20150725_075949.jpg20150725_110002(0).jpg20150725_084147.jpg
    Attached Files

Nice looking fish guys, is there no charge to launch there now?
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
      Nice looking fish guys, is there no charge to launch there now?
      It is true that there is no charge at Terrapin. The water it accesses is great, but the haul is a drag (no pun intended...)
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Good job you guy. Good looking fish
        2014 Hobie Outback
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2015 CBKA Fishing Tournament
        2nd PLACE
        Slam Division

Comment

Nice fish!

Comment

Nice work gents. Hoping to finally catch my first keeper of the year, next weekend, when I get home.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

Beautiful fish Gentlemen, well done!!
              2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

A+ guys.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

Great report! The last time I tried the Bay Bridge I launched at Sandy Point. Between the work boats ferrying crews of 20 or so guys in boats with 3' or more wakes, and strong current, I was overmatched in a WS sit inside Pungo with no electronics. That was almost three years ago and I haven't been back.

I am wondering if it's safe to try launching a sit inside out of Terrapin if the winds are right? Having specific spots to work like the sewer pipe may be productive, particularly since that's close to shore.

I don't think I'd have too much of a problem carrying my kayak on my head through the sand since it's only 48 lbs. Also, I can't fish on weekends anyway so weekend boat traffic is not an issue.

Any advice?

Comment

Nice looking fish. I'm a canoe only guy. I see in the one photo that your kayak has 2 sets of wheels. I'm guessing the fat tires are for sand and the skinny tires are for the path. Just wondering if you are able to use both sets at the same time on very long trails like is found at Terrapin ( think giant skateboard)? I'd think if the weight were distributed properly that the long pull would be fairly easy.
                    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

I use both sets of wheels and go 4 wheeling. I just pull the kayak along instead of having to lift and pull. Its' not a bad haul to the water for me. It's the return trip and landing that's the hardest. Pulling the kayak out of the water onto the sand is PITA but once I'm on the path it's an easy haul for me.
                      Last edited by Goody; 07-26-2015, 10:55 AM.

Outback 2015
                      Maui

Comment

Some more pictures.

20150725_063913.jpg 20150725_070429.jpg 20150725_071546.jpg 20150725_071552.jpg 20150725_105207.jpg

Outback 2015
                        Maui

Comment

What were you guys trolling
                          Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I was using 4" and 5" paddeltails.

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                            What were you guys trolling

Outback 2015
                            Maui

Comment

I'm glad Terrapin worked out for you. I launched there yesterday morning as well which was my first time at that location and the second outing with the Hobie. I was behind schedule and didn't get on the water until nearly 8am. When I drove over the bridge, the boats were really stacked up at the sewer pipe and along the edge. By the time I hit the water, the crowd had thinned telling me I may have missed the best of the morning bite. I saw Daolai trolling a bit to the north of where I was trying to drift through the power boats and jig. My fears were confirmed as I only saw one fish landed and I only pulled one small striper the entire day.

A newbie's observations for Fishinfool:

Launching at Terrapin is easy once you actually get to the water. The only traffic you may face is all the families there on the beach when you return. It is a long walk, especially when you are loaded up. I have a Hobie cart with the small balloon wheels. It was manageable but not a pleasant walk. Note Cowpokey's map in the linked post. Pack light as you will only want to make one trip from the parking lot. You should have no problem launching from a sit inside from Terrapin as there are no power boats launching from that location.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...light=terrapin
                              Red Wilderness Tarpon 120
                              2014 Papaya Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X