Took my nephew kayak fishing this morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took my nephew kayak fishing this morning

Took my nephew out to one of the state maintained small lakes this morning.

His first trip in years and first time in a kayak.

We got there at daylight and hit the water (after I tripped over my own feet on the ramp and hit the concrete, sand and water there - didn't even get a scratch on me and at my age/size I hit the ground hard.)

He kept telling me how great it was being out on that lake with the sun coming up over the trees, the fog raising up off the water, the birds singing in the trees and fish hitting topwater around us.

We tried some topwater baits (frogs, tiny torpedoes and hula poppers with no success. I got a pole bending strike on a small shad colored crank bait but no fish. I got a small bass (about 12" up to the kayak) on a 1/8 white spinner bait and then caught a 5 or 6" blue gill on it a few casts later.

I saw a big bass in a foot or so of water about 30 minutes later. I had a little rapala floating minnow on the line and tossed it over to him/her. The bass would raise up to it, then turn away. When I'd twitch the minnow, the bass would turn around and come back to it, but just look again before turning away. I don't know if I teased it or it teased me about half way back to the kayak before it turned and went on past me towards deeper water.

We paddled across the lake to the shadowed side of the lake and started fishing again. I heard my nephew holler and tell me to come catch "that fish". I had to ask what he was talking about. He said something hit his 1/8" oz. spinner bait and turned hard when he set the hook and then there was nothing there. He reeled in and somehow his 30 lb. spiderwire braided line had separated. I've never broken that line before. I've straightened hooks pulling crankbaits off a stump/log, but never broke it before. The line was tapered over about 3/8" to a sharp little point. Not a straight across break, but a funny tapered looking break, or cut.

He said he saw the fish and it was big but he didn't know what it was. He said it looked like the tips of the fins were red, or reddish orange. He said it appeared to be feeding off the little bugs on the surface of the water and he tossed the spinner bait out there to see if it would hit that and it did.

He was tickled just to be out there. He said he really needed this morning to unwind from work and other stuff. He said he was ready to go again anytime, just let him know.

A couple more trips on ponds and we're going to hit one of these local rivers once he's more familiar with the kayak and fishing out of it.

Perhaps it was a big carp?

Comment

Could be. I've caught smaller ones on spinner baits in the river.

Comment

Working...
      X