Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday fishing

Y'know it never fails.
    Two weeks ago I caught perch out the wazoo and last Friday we caught some huge perch along the old railroad line in the Severn from the Charter Boat on soft crab.

I promised some perch to a neighbor.

I was planning on launching at Weems and hopping out to the main stem of the Severn. The winds were supposed to be "light and variable".
    The weatherman was part right. The weren't light but they were "variable" varying from 10-15 knots straight into the mouth of Weems.
    Whitecaps coming in off of the Severn.
    I fish from a canoe, a lot more sail area than a kayak.
    Scratch that idea.

So I headed up the Creek above the bridges, where I had done very well in the muddy water a few weeks ago.
    The wind was swirling, but tolerable. Only got blown into a head high boat lift once-they kinda sneak up on you, and pinned under a dock once, when trying to free up a lure.

It was a slow day.
    It took me nearly 3 hours to catch a batch of fish over 8 inches. The perch were way up under the docks in the darkest shade, in about 5-6 feet of water. They were not in the wood or weeds like two weeks ago.
    Best lure was the usual Chartreuse Spinner jig with a small gold blade. They did not want the painted blades this week.
    Go figure.
    I ended up with enough perch for dinner, plus two baby rock 8-10 inches, and a large Yellow Perch that I invited home. No pickerel today.

Water conditions: visibility about 1-1 1/2 feet. It was a very high tide, making it a challenge to flick the spinners up under the lower docks. The clear skies and bright sun had the fish trying to stay out of the sun.
    There were a lot of Needlefish busting tiny bait on the surface.

Sounds like you worked hard and prevailed.

Chartreuse to the rescue.

Congrats on your persistence and skill in finding the perch in less than ideal conditions and in meeting your neighbor's expectations.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
    X