Snake head help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake head help

I've been seeing snake head in Leonards creeksince last year and I've been trying to catch them to no avail. I've tried top poppers jig heads frogs almost anything I need help what times of day are theyou most active what baits to use techniques for said bait anything would help it's really making me mad I can't catch one of these guys

Noahtom,

I am no snakehead expert. I've caught exactly one despite launching hundreds of casts into Mattawoman Creek on three separate trips.

But from what I have seen in my catch and the catches of others, heavy vegetation is a key. They are in shallow areas so choked with plant growth that you wouldn't think you could get a lure to them or that a fish could possibly live there. Therefore, weedless baits are helpful. Hollow floating plastic frogs with the hooks upturned and solid plastic toad imitations with wobbly legs and the hooks buried near the top of the lure will work if the snakeheads are willing to strike. Both lures are pulled across the surface, through and over the vegetation. Allow them to make as much disruption to the water as their design allows.

Two guides have told me that fly fishing for them is hard because snakeheads are keenly aware of the fly line as it passes over top of them. Snakeheads live in shallow water and are wary of predators or any movement above them. Long casts and a certain amount of "stealthiness" on your part are helpful. Both guides have also said that they are difficult to catch with conventional tackle. They also said snakeheads are active in bright sunlight when bass typically are not. However, they are not as active in low light when bass rule. So don't feel bad that your efforts have gone for naught so far. Eventually you will drop a surface lure within inches of one's head and the contest will be on.

Good luck and enjoy the battle when you succeed.
    Last edited by Mark; 07-25-2015, 05:55 AM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Guys at Fletcher's do really well with Spro frogs.
      Zack
      Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
      Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
      "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

I have always done well mid-day on hot, sunny days. Lately, I have been trying to catch them at other times to no avail. In open waters try a Mepps spinner w/ squirrel tail. Also, cast your weedless frog on shore or in the grass then jump it into the water( more realistic). In thick stuff cast high to plop it onto the thick stuff, you may get a reaction bite. Good luck.

Comment

If you're seeing them they might be guarding their babies, they won't bite.Try fishing in the jungle when you don't see them.

Comment

St. Leonard's creek off the patuxent in the lusby area?

I haven't heard reports of them in fishable numbers in the tidal patuxent.

Comment

Yes on Lusby they are there I've seen 4 of 5 at a time in different places so I'm assuming even more I don't see

Comment

I'd be down to get together on a weekend and go after em.
                Zack
                Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Working...
                X