Bay Bridge Tonight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Bridge Tonight?

Brought the yak to work with me and plan on launching at Sandy Point this afternoon. This will be my first time at the bridge. Anyone want to join me? I could use any advice or suggestions you would like to offer, bait, lures location etc. I have lights so hope to stay out for the evening.

I've never tried it at night. Since predatory fish frequently approach shallower waters in the evening, you probably don't have to out past pier #11.
    If you move upstream or down from the bridge piers be careful of the crab pots. Probably hard to see at night.
    Good luck. Be safe.
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Thanks Buzz. I'll stick close when it gets dark.

Comment

Just as a heads up, the bay was very rough this morning. I launched my 16' center console from Sandy Pt at 9:00 am. We faced 2-3 foot waves coming from the north and plenty of white caps. We cut our trip short because it was difficult to stay in fishing position and was a wet bumpy ride. If you do launch your kayak from Sandy Pt later today, be careful of the wind and waves.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Oh wow. Thanks John. I didn't expect that. I may need to re-think this.

Comment

Im planning to go out tomorrow morning. The NWS forecast is showing waves around 1ft or less with winds around 5-10kt tonight. Tomorrow the wind shifts to come from the South at 5kt and waves should also be around 1ft. Sounds like the current report and reality are a little different.
            -Jon
            Revo 13

Comment

Shawn,
              You might want to check out windfinder.com and search for Sandy Point State Park. The forecasts are typically accurate a day out. If you were planning to push your evening plans back a day you should note that the wind is forecast to start to really pick up in the late afternoon tomorrow and be that way through mid day Sunday.
              Red Wilderness Tarpon 120
              2014 Papaya Hobie Outback

Comment

anz532-250800- chesapeake bay from sandy point to north beach- 132 pm edt fri jul 24 2015
                this afternoon
                n winds 5 to 10 kt. Waves 1 ft.

tonight
                ne winds 5 to 10 kt. Waves 1 ft.

sat
                se winds 5 kt. Waves less than 1 ft.

sat night
                s winds 10 kt. Waves 1 to 2 ft.

sun s winds 5 to 10 kt. Waves 1 to 2 ft.

sun night
                s winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts to 20 kt. Waves 2 to 3 ft. A chance of showers and tstms.
                sigpic

Comment

As jjflash68 notes, windfinder gives wind forecasts that are about as accurate as we can hope to get. The main forecast projects wind velocity in 3-hr intervals. The super forecast tab (using a different meteorological model) gives hourly projections. According to the Annapolis station forecast (http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/a..._naval_academy) the winds will remain moderately high from the north until 8:00 tonight. During the night, the winds will drop quite a bit and shift to the south. I plan to be back out of Sandy Pt again tomorrow and hope for flatter seas.

This morning the high tide was at about 11:30. That meant that tide should have been incoming during the morning. The northerly winds overpowered the incoming tide making a fast drift to the south, and stacking up waves.

If you still want to launch this evening, stay in the wind shadow of the beach at Sandy Pt and fish around the first few pilings. The water should not be too rough there. But if you venture out to the rockpiles, be prepared for a bouncy ride.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Additionally, try to time your fishing when the wind is not opposite the tidal flow. The difference, even if still rough, will be swells vs breakers. Yaks take swells with no sweat but 2-3 ft breaking waves makes it hard to maneuver.

John
                    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

How'd it go? I fished the bridge yesterday morning and found a dozen perch 8-11", one 9" blue, one angry CNR and one 18.5" striper. Tried for spot to live line but couldn't find any. Tried live living a perch and blue, but no luck.

Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thanks for all the good advice. My weekend is all booked up so it was Friday afternoon/evening or nothing. I decided to head down and check it out. The waves were about a foot and turned to glass by sundown. I was able to catch some perch, spot and a few baby stripers near the pilings. As things calmed down I checked out the rockpile but nothing was biting. About 8PM I headed over to the lighthouse just north of the bridge and got a few nice perch. All the fish were caught on bloodworm.

Comment

Good to see you still got out Shawn. I'll add here to save from a new thread. Not much to report though, but I went out this morning. Marked a ton of fish but didn't see many people pulling them in. I managed two out by the rock pile. Most fish seemed suspended. Middle of the water column, but not taking the vertical presentation. On the way in I trolled into two CNRs then called it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          -Jon
                          Revo 13

Comment

Working...
                          X