No announcement yet.

Spanish Mackeral fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'll probably get there around 5:30 am. went to the severn this morning and fished from the wall at the navy rec. center pretty slow did hook 1 14" striper, no spot ,no croaker. looked pretty nasty out early, made the mistake of listening to the weatherman again and missed a good day for fishing in the kayak need to get the new hobie salty

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
      i'll probably get there around 5:30 am. went to the severn this morning and fished from the wall at the navy rec. center pretty slow did hook 1 14" striper, no spot ,no croaker. looked pretty nasty out early, made the mistake of listening to the weatherman again and missed a good day for fishing in the kayak need to get the new hobie salty
      Thanks for the report... I've always done horrible right after big rains fishing from a pier or surf fishing .... Maybe it's just coincidence but I think the rain introduces a lot of fresh water into the bay. Not sure how fish will deal with it unless they're naturally accoustomed to fresh-to-brackish water. Some may deal with it better than others. Stripes spawns in fresh to brackish water so maybe that's why it's still there so early. The upperbay is a good mix of salty-to-brakish water. Maybe the deeper spots after rains my hold better luck until the water has a chance to mix completely? Not sure, just theorizin LOL... Hey, how do you like your new HOBIE?

Comment

well, i wasnt able to get out at all this weekend. maybe i can get a day off this week. did any of you get out? reports?
        sigpic

Comment

Didn't go. Ended up doing 5 hours of backbreaking yard work clearing the big-a$$ed tree that fell into my yard. Anyone need firewood

Comment

Any luck out of Romancoke over the weekend? I was there yesterday evening and struck out but was only out a couple hours and didn't go all the way down to bloody point. Ran into another guy coming in from bloody and he said there were a lot of birds but he struck out as well.

Comment

How did that trip go? I was out of Romancoke last night (Sunday) but didn't stay out long and didn't get anything. Guys at Angler's tackle said people have been hitting Spanish hard at the mouth of Eastern Bay and into the bay.

Comment

Me and my buddy Kevin made it out to "rumncoke" early Sunday and had the yaks on the water from 6:30am to 2pm. Almost immediately I hooked into a 12" croaker followed by a 14" on gulp blood worms, both of which I took home. I only hooked into 3 spot, all huge, 2 caught on a double. Lots of blues aggressively breaking, mostly small snappers caught on the cut spot with a flouder rig and on gotcha plugs. Kevin hooked into a med size cow nose on cut spot which took him on a nice sleigh ride. All fish were caught around the ledge between 30-100 yards past the bouys.

I saw 2 macs jump sky high closer to shore, unfortunately I didn't catch any though I saw one boat trolling for them close by.

Good day on the water, weather was awesome in the morning, then the sun came out. I'd have to say the highlight of the day was chasing birds to the bait balls. Lovin the yak so far.

Comment

mickey and i got there around 5:30. put in at the little ramp, mick let his ride go and had to chase it before it got too far LOL. i stepped on the algie on the end of the ramp slipped and got soaked not-LOL. took a little bit to get adjusted peddle wise and with the rudder but once i got the hang of it it was pretty nice,a little cramped and i need to alter some things. took the gps out with me so i clocked my speed, 2.5-3 mph just cruising and up to 5.3 mph when putting on the heat. i tell you what, my hamstrings are sore today! not use to using those muscles for 5 hours. we caught spot, blues and croaker, didn't spot any breaking fish. first fish was a croaker i caught, that thing was large and fat @ 14". but it was a slow fishing day. got the new rod mounts today and i'll put them on tomorrow. going to CHSP or RI DE next weekend if anyone wants to go

Comment

mickey and i got there around 5:30. put in at the little ramp, mick let his ride go and had to chase it before it got too far LOL. i stepped on the algie on the end of the ramp slipped and got soaked not-LOL. took a little bit to get adjusted peddle wise and with the rudder but once i got the hang of it it was pretty nice,a little cramped and i need to alter some things. took the gps out with me so i clocked my speed, 2.5-3 mph just cruising and up to 5.3 mph when putting on the heat. i tell you what, my hamstrings are sore today! not use to using those muscles for 5 hours. we caught spot, blues and croaker, didn't spot any breaking fish. first fish was a croaker i caught, that thing was large and fat @ 14". but it was a slow fishing day. got the new rod mounts today and i'll put them on tomorrow. going to CHSP or RI DE next weekend if anyone wants to go
                    LOL. At least you caught fish and got a good workout while fishing. Can't beat that. That's interesting, I did not know that we were only going 2.5-3mph.... I thought MACKs liked faster moving stuff. Maybe leave a really really long line out there and reel it up really fast?

Comment

man I did the same thing walking Kevins kayak down the ramp. I dropped his boat, ankles over the head and everything. At least the water was warm, HA

Comment

went down faster than a hooker on saturday night to troll for spanish i think you need to go 5 mph, they say to cast to them and reel as fast as you can and then some, like wahoo. mounted the rod holders, love these ram holders they are almost infinitely adjustable. look like a fricking navy torpedo boat , only thing left is to mount a couple plano boxes inside with velcro.

Comment

thanks for the report fellas. i'm going to be out on saturday morning. this time i will be able to make it! so to launch, you have to climb down rocks there?
                          sigpic

Comment

There is a small "walk ramp" I guess you'd call it to the left as you enter the parking lot. Its a perfect kayak launch with a small beach at low tide. Worst case, you arrive at high tide and you have to step into shallow waters.

Good luck man. I'll be fishing for croaks, pup drum and flatties in the lower potomac on Friday.

Comment

good luck fellas, i'm heading to CHSP at 0dark30 sat. morning hoping to get there by 6:30

Comment

good luck fellas, i'm heading to CHSP at 0dark30 sat. morning hoping to get there by 6:30
                                Where is CHSP?

Comment

Working...
                                X