CNR 1, St. Croix 0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNR 1, St. Croix 0

i went out in Cuckhold Creek this morning hoping that a change of location would get me some legal stripers. After a couple of hours of nothing I switched over to white perch and landed a few for lunch. I decided to make one last pass in the Patuxent just in case rocks had moved in. I'd been dodging CNR all day but never saw the one I hooked about 200 yards from the launch. I went to grab the line to break it off when my St Croix rod snapped about 6" down. I've had that rod for over 20 years and a lot of great memories snapped along with it. Bad fishing equaled bad luck today.

On the bright side the wife said go get a new one.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

I'm sorry to hear about the broken St Croix...but I shall conclude by saying nice wife( for giving you the go ahead to replace the St Croix)!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
      She's a good wife. Make sure you keep her longer than the St. Croix!
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Most St Croix rods come with strong warranties. Check their website. Last fall I broke a 6'6 Med Lite Premier rod. I contacted St Croix service. They told me to send back the broken rod and include a check for $50 to get a new Premier rod, or include a check for $100 and get a new Avid rod ($210 at retail). I chose the Avid and love it.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

One of my new St Croix’s took an early retirement. It’s relaxing at the bottom of Manasquan Inlet, New Jersey.
          Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
          Predator 13

Comment

Hard to find a good rod now a days that has a life time warranty.
            Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
            Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
              i went out in Cuckhold Creek this morning hoping that a change of location would get me some legal stripers. After a couple of hours of nothing I switched over to white perch and landed a few for lunch. I decided to make one last pass in the Patuxent just in case rocks had moved in. I'd been dodging CNR all day but never saw the one I hooked about 200 yards from the launch. I went to grab the line to break it off when my St Croix rod snapped about 6" down. I've had that rod for over 20 years and a lot of great memories snapped along with it. Bad fishing equaled bad luck today.

I would definitely follow John V's advice and contact St Croix.

I didn't break a St Croix but a CNR broke a nice graphite rod off Blackwalnut Pt about 3 weeks back, and the retailer replaced it at no charge. For what St Croix charges, you should get something, even if its 20 years old.

Comment

I've sent them an email to try and figure out what to do. My rod was a Legend but so old it predates their serial numbering system that started in 2000. I'd like to get a Legend as a replacement, but only if I can get a good discount, the price went up a lot from the time I bought mine.
                Mike

Comment

I lost a St. Croix rod (and reel) earlier this year to a CNR at piney point- yanked it out from between my legs while reeling in my 2nd rod...Legends are nice rods- I recently went with St. Croix Avid X rods and think that they are a really good all around everything rods- love jigging with them, trolling works good too and so does throwing and working top water poppers...super light weight, stiff with good backbone- amazingly sensitive...you can feel the jig tap, tap, tap as it just brushes the top of grass on retrieve...I should add that I am "old school" when it comes to most of my tackle- revolving spool reels are what I grew up fishing with and what I am most comfortable using although I use spinning for a few specific applications- that said these Avid X rods are used exclusively on low profile casting reels with braided line which enhance the sensitivity and feel of your bait when working a retrieve- I would say that at this price point, there are a number of excellant rods on the market that have a loyal following of Angler's who swear by them...
                  Last edited by ronaultmtd; 07-23-2015, 02:36 PM.
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I have, regretfully, some recent experience with broken rods. In the last four years I have broken two Star rods, one St. Croix, and one G Loomis. I took both Star rods back to local tackle shops, they where suppose to show them to the Star rep., never heard a thing back. The St. Croix was send back by me to the company, because the tackle shop said that they are no longer allowed to replace rods, and they must be sent in by the owner. It was replaced by St. Croix, with the $30 dollar fee and the now normal upgrade offer. I just did break one of my G Loomis while cobia fishing ( thanks to a huge southern ray). I sent it in, and received a new replacement in two days, they even paid the return shipment! Can you guess who I will purchase my next rod from?
                    Last edited by Hemingway; 07-21-2015, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hemingway View Post
                      I have, regretfully, some recent experience with broken rods. In the last four years I have broken two Star rods, one St. Croix, and one G Loomis. I took both Star rods back to local tackle shops, they where suppose to show them to the Star rep., never heard a thing back. The St. Croix was send back by me to the company, because the tackle shop said that they are no longer allowed to replace rods, and they must be sent in by the owner. It was replaced by St. Croix, with the $30 dollar fee and the now normal upgrade offer. I just did break one of my G Loomis while cobia fishing ( thanks to a hugh southern ray). I sent it in, and received a new replacement in two days, they even paid the return shipment! Can you guess who I will purchase my next rod from?
                      The Loomis was replaced at no cost? I thought it was $100?

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Originally posted by reel-em-in View Post
                        The Loomis was replaced at no cost? I thought it was $100?
                        Zero $$$ I only paid to ship it in.

Comment

Originally posted by Hemingway View Post
                          Zero $$$ I only paid to ship it in.
                          Wow that's awesome. I have 2 Loomis rods but looking at their website I figured it be $100 to replace a broken one. Hopefully I never have to find out!

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Sucks about the rod. I broke a rod on my very first CNR. Now after I've hooked quite a few more, I've gotten to the point of just breaking them off. Point the rod at the CNR, hold the spool and break the line. CNR gets a new piece of jewelry in their face...like kids now a days, anything I can do to help them be stylish.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

I just spoke with St Croix and they gave me $180 of credit, which after the $75 Gold warranty left me $105 to apply to a rod. I'm pretty sure I bought the rod I broke in the early 90's and I know I didn't pay over $100 for it back then. In my book getting credit for a 20 plus year old rod is gravy and I can't think of many producers who would give you what I consider to be a generous credit for something that old. I also own Loomis and have had good experiences with them on broken rod replacement ( I've broken 2 Loomis rods in the same time span that I've had the St Croix for what that info is worth). Both companies deserve accolades for standing behind their product.
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X