No announcement yet.

Go Pro Extended Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the 4 silver. Went ahead and ordered it. Will find out if it works. The thing was supposed to be here today, but they cancelled my 1 day shipping.

Comment

I had no issues with the setup powering my Hero 4 Black. I tried it with the battery in and the battery out, with the battery out the LCD indicates a dead battery but the camera will still power up.
      Travis
      Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
      Orange Old Town NEXT
      USN

Comment

Great info! This could be exactly what I have been looking for. Ordered one up as soon as I saw it.
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

My Kapaxen Power Supply Cable arrived last night.
          IMG_1899[1].jpg

In the box, you find the cable already attached to the back door.
          IMG_1900[1].jpg

There are no instructions, but on the box its written that the input voltage can be anywhere from 5v to 24v... DC of course. There is a bulge in the cable that contains the voltage regulator that ensures the power entering the GoPro is only 5v.

Between the 30pin connector, the voltage regulator, and the cable gland its a tight fit. For me it was best to place the voltage regulator in the door above the cable gland. And bend the cable going to the 30pin connector to route below the cable gland. That way it all fit in there snug without pinching the cable.
          IMG_1911[1].jpg

As a quick test, I plugged it in using an Apple wall wart.
          IMG_1908[2].jpg

And there you go.

For now I plan to connect it to the same battery I use to run my FF, but its an old alarm box battery so I think its time for a new one. Right now I'm looking at the Cabelas 8AH battery with charger. Of course, if you know of a better option please share.
          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Just got back from my weekend of fishing down at cbbt and found mine arrived as well. Also in the mail was my KMASHI 10000mAh MP816 that I got for 10 bucks shipped. My hero 4 silver powered right up from the battery pack. No problems running that unit...not sure what the deal was with the other reviewers on Amazon having issues.

Now to figure out the loop mode settings. I guess I will also have to lose the head strap and go with some other type of mount. I really like the head strap though, maybe I can extend the mount out even more to make it work with this new housing.

Comment

I was going to get another waterproof box and modify it for the usb cord to pass thru. But I just remembered that my new s6 active has a waterproof charging port, no cover or anything...the port itself is actually waterproof. So I figured somebody must make a waterproof powerbank with a waterproof usb port. Anybody seen one around anywhere before I go and make a box for my powerbank? There are plenty of waterproof powerbanks on the market, but none of them seem to have waterproof charging ports...every one I look at has a cover to waterproof the ports.

Comment

-I found one power bank that seems to be waterproof while charging. It is called Battery1inc 15,600mAh. That is the only one I can find so far and it is almost $50, so not sure if I will get it right now.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                  I just looked again and it seems I never got past the description of the brunton all day on the original link posted. I see now what a great write up he did including what he came up with for waterproof storage of the external battery pack. Guess if you secure your battery somewhere on the kayak, the cord will also act as a tether for the gorpo if you ever turtle. Wish I knew about this before I bought the gopro extended battery. Definitely looks like a game changer. I guess I should be able to easily run highest quality settings all day. Only problem now is running out storage. But I just checked and prices are finally coming down on 128gb micro sd cards lately as well. I have a couple 64gb cards that were actually pretty expensive back when I got them.
                  I must be missing something. Where are you seeing the description of the battery and the waterproof storage?
                  Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

I missed it at first also. You just have to go through the posts on original link to the write up. He just uses a power bank like you would use to charge a cell phone or tablet and puts it in a plastic waterproof box like you would for a fishfinder battery.

Comment

http://www.angling-addict.com/2015/0...urces.html?m=1

I guess it is a little hard to find. You have to click on his link for older posts, but this link should take you right to it

Comment

Got it. Then thanks! Definitely some good ideas to get me started.
                        Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Used a Brunton Torpedo 2600 that I had to power my GoPro via a Kapaxen cable. I love the set up but was disappointed by the brunton's longevity. The unit lasted less than 3 hours. Guess I gotta find more juice.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use a Hardened Power System unit for my GoPro 3. They have updated the system since I bought mine. The units work for all GoPro cameras now. It runs off of my 12 volt kayak battery. The camera goes until the Micro SD card if full.

http://www.portableuniversalpower.co...ts/longshot-2/

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                              I use a Hardened Power System unit for my GoPro 3. They have updated the system since I bought mine. The units work for all GoPro cameras now. It runs off of my 12 volt kayak battery. The camera goes until the Micro SD card if full.

http://www.portableuniversalpower.co...ts/longshot-2/
                              I will definitely check out this option for my second camera. It looks like a strong possibility. Thanks!
                              Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Trying to pick out a new battery.
                                With the Humminbird drawing 425mA and the GoPro 3+B drawing 3600mA (continuous recording with the WiFi on) thats a total of 4025mA or 4.025A. So a 12-volt 8Ah battery would only last me 2 hours. (ouch). Not sure I want the weight of anything bigger than an 8Ah.

The GoPro is a hog. Maybe I should just wire it to the Minn Kota's battery.
                                2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                                Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
                                X