South of Elms Beach 7/18/2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South of Elms Beach 7/18/2015

During the week, I was hearing the rumbles that croakers were being caught in number in the Elms Beach area, so I decided to explore and give it a try. My parents had requested croakers, so I was trying to oblige them. Rich, also known on Snaggedline as the FishingGod, said that he would meet me and anyone else down at Elm's Beach at 6:30am. He also offered to have a barbeque at his house. A few other Snaggedliners were thinking of coming, but they were not able to free their schedule. Rich informed me that Elms Beach can be packed with people on the weekends, that might make it tricky navigating past the people swimming and along the beach. He then offered to launch from his house, which would be a free launch. He lives in a house on the water just south of Elms Beach. There is a sandy beach to launch from less than 1/2 a block from his house. That seemed to be a better plan, so I launched from his house instead of Elms Beach. I left my house at 4:30am and made it to Rich's place at 6:33am after making some stops along the way.

It was only the two of us. The weather earlier in the week was looking good; SSW Winds at 9 mph dropping to 7mph later in the morning. The daytime temperature for that area South of Lexington Park, MD was expected to reach 90 degrees. Low tide would be somewhere around 10:40am. There was a slight chance of a scattered thunderstorm between 8 and 10 am, otherwise, no rain was expected during the day. When we looked at the water, it looked fairly clear, considering all the rain that we have been getting. The wind was calm, but we did notice rolling swells coming into shore. It was still quite fishable, so we launched.

We immediately began to catch croakers in front of his house in 5 feet of water. We fished most of the cove in depths of 4 feet to 8 feet. I ended up filling up my stringer. I actually had to double up with two fish on some of the clips. I even caught a strange fish that I released. It looked like a whiting or a baby black drum? It was only 5 inches. I even caught and boated half a dozen crabs on my fishing line. I did let them all go. Rich was doing very well, also. He caught a mess of croakers with sever 12 inchers to his credit. He too caught a crab and an oyster toad. By 12:45pm we called it quits and headed back in. It never did rain even though we heard thunder in the distance. The storms ended up going north of us, so we had a dry day.

Rich had his grill out so he cleaned some of the fish for lunch for his impromptu barbeque. The fresh croaker he prepared along with the roasted vegetable and potatoes were excellent. Being a chef is his other calling in life, so if he invites Snaggedliners down for fishing and grilling, whoever goes will be in for a treat. He is a great guy to fish with and another fine addition to the Snaggedline community.
    Attached Files

Nice report! I was going to ask you what kind of fish that was, but I guess you don't know either. LOL

Glad you got some fish for your folks, you're a good son.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Nice job on the croakers. That looks delicious.

Mobile

Outback 2015
      Maui

Comment

Moc, what a great day of fishing. It was my honor to have ya down for some good fishing and better eating off the grill. sure wish a few extra folks made it. we will have to make a plan for more folks with a bit more notice next time. my hospitality knows no bounds... so anyone here is welcome to ask if I'm free and come on down to fish. neither of us caught huge fish but it sure was consistant around here. you will catch dinner every time. it was a damn good day for me.... fished with my first Snaggedline member(which i must say he has left the bar very high for the rest of ya to reach), i landed two new species(two white perch and one toad fish) and a ton of standard 10 inch croaker with a few at the 12 inch mark. i totally forgot i had corn to grill as well but the rest of the food was enough. hope to see many of ya down here in the future. Moc, you are welcome any day of the year brother.!!!!
        Rich
        Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

Nice job, moc. Your mystery fish is a whiting. Also known as a kingfish, sea mullet, or Roundhead.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

If the "kingfish" are same as I have caught surf fishing, they are great eating.

Corn on the grill... one of my fav's .
            Here's my summer recipe...
            6 ears of corn, half a cantelope, small bag of frozen peas.

Strip off some of the outer husk, leaving two or so layers.
            Optional soak in water for a little while to get the leaves wet.
            Cook the corn till the outer leaves burn.. even charring the inner corn a little is good.. for the smoke taste.
            Usually when I pull the corn off the grill the husks are burning.. toss in pot and spray with water to stop the burning.

Scrape/cut the the corn off the cobs with a sharp knife.

Cantelope... cut into qurater size pieces.

Blanch frozen peas in boiling water for a minute or so.

Combine cut corn, peas, cantelope.

Lemon/pepper salt, garlic powder, and a few red pepper flakes to taste.

Eat. Chilling it is even better for the next day and a cool summer dish.

Croaker Time.. it must be summer !

Great to read the report.

Comment

Great report and great looking food! Sorry I couldn't make it. Looking forward to meeting you in the future Rich

Sent from Tapatalk
              -Mustafa
              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Yep, that's a kingfish. Caught some down in OBX last week. Num num yum
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Great report Moc and Rich. Croakers are thick in the Potomac as well in that 5' of water depth. Bottom bouncing 3" Gulp in white has been very productive. One question, did you two finish all of that delicious looking fish?
                  Mike
                  Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

i ended up cleaning 5 fish to get enough for us to eat lunch. the rest of the catch went home with Moc for him and his family.
                    Rich
                    Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

looking forward to meeting ya as well. every few weeks ill post up a suggested weekend for folks to come down for a day of fishing here.
                      Rich

Comment

Great report. I spent many summers in Dameron, I'll certainly try to make the next one.
                        Mark Harrison

Hobie Outback - Yellow

Comment

Sorry I couldn't make it guys, glad you hooked up though!
                          Next time..
                          GB.

Comment

Sounds like a good time.
                            I'll be keeping an ear out for the next one.
                            2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
                            X