Waterspouts on the Bay yesterday....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterspouts on the Bay yesterday....

To make this long story short and answer the basic question... didn't catch any fish.
    Lots of fish on the sonar.. trolled white and chartreuse bucktails, with similar soft plastic trailers,
    and also had out at the same swimming to 5-8 foot deep shad hard lures (blue and white, and black and white)
    So I had four lines out at the same time. Maybe I should also start experimenting with tube worms.
    At the end of the trip tried for a short time for perch.

Well.. if you didn't catch the buzz in the news yesterday... here are some notes and pics.

Weather reports and wind predictions had the day as stable, light winds early, increasing late day.
    No storm activity expected.

Got on the water at 6:30 am to clear skies and just small bumps on the water from light southeast winds.
    Plans were to get to some deeper water (over 20ft).

The morning started out with one long single cloud formation that went from as far north and south as I could see.
    No other clouds in the sky. Figured it was a cloud formation because of the differences of the bay and land masses.
    A temporary morning cloud.

And from the a satellite pic you can see the cloud top to bottom of the bay.

After about an hour or so... I started seeing these "tongues" appearing from the cloud formation.
    They would appear and disappear... and at one time counted four.. with possible more not as prominent

I have seen waterspouts on numerous occasions in Puerto Rico and along the Atlantic Ocean.
    Weather conditions really didn't seem that unstable for waterspouts.

After a couple of hours or so and about three miles from port.... the winds and waves increased dramatically.
    The weather radio was broadcastings late day warnings of 20 to 30 knots.
    Considering my distance from shore... and well, if conditions changed dramatically, especially as the appearance of
    waterspouts... best to head back.

On the way back, I made a number of passes at a spot in 15feet of water that had produced before but no luck.

I had one wave that splashed totally and soaked my upper torso. It was becoming difficult to paddle straight.
    Thought about real life testing the newly created sump pump... but that would have involved turning around and getting
    out of storage and setting it up. It would have taken no time to set it up.. but was worried about getting clobbered by
    a wave broadside as the conditions were spinning me around when I stopped paddling.
    I was close to shore so I beached it in a protected area, and empty the water out, and tried some perch fishing for a short while.

I wasn't bummed about not catching anything... but felt defeated by the weather.
    The defeated feeling didn't last too long. Weather conditions can change dramatically from predicted.
    I was by myself... far from shore at one point... perceived waterspouts in conditions that didn't exactly warrant their production.
    The weather radio was broadcasting some info about waterspouts...

Every trip on the water lends to new experiences and knowledge... I had a good time... lots of fish out there... next time hopefully dinner !
    Last edited by rob-kayak; 07-18-2015, 06:55 AM.

That's a wild story! Glad you made it to shore in one piece and didn't end up on Oz.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Actually... for definition purposes.. they are not really waterspouts until they touch the water.
      And just called funnel clouds.

From an explanation 2013 NBC4 website...
      "Warm air near the ground while the air aloft stayed relatively cool, Bell said. This set up with cool air above warm is called instability.

Water spouts occur where that instability is at its greatest. The warm air is rising quickly into the clouds. As the air rises it cools and the pressure drops.

The lowering temperature and pressure causes a condensation funnel to form. If the funnel reaches the water, it is called a waterspout.

If the waterspout were to reach shore, it would be reclassified as a tornado."

Comment

From my front balcony, I see the Chester River. (it's a nice view!). Anyway, during on of the recent storms, I watched multiple water spouts form and dissipate. Its an awesome display of nature. The area where I viewed them is right where I do most of my kayak fishing. I won't be chancing things out there when storms are firing up!
        ORANGE NATIVE MANTA RAY 11

Comment

Your story had me puckering. Glad you made it back safely.
          Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
          Cobra Explorer

Comment

Excellent post!!!

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

Thanks for sharing the story and photos. We don't see waterspouts often in the bay.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
              X