No announcement yet.

Who needs the evolve...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With my Ocean Kayak Big Game, I didn't ever get over 4.0 mph. That was with the Kipawa prop. However, I was satisfied with 4.0 mph. I generally troll at 3.3 mph. I understand that different hulls may produce different results. I needed the 55lb thrust motor for bay fishing, for recovery after waves. I had a 30lb thrust motor on a 15' Trident, and did well. A 55 would have been better. However, for the Big Game, with wider, greater load and two batteries, I needed the bigger motor. When I say, soft paddle strokes in quiet waters, I mean no motor. I want no vibration of any sort. Whether its bones, reds or even bass, to start any motor in a quiet situation will tend to spook fish.

The Kipawa prop gave the kayak a smoother and more consistent run. I could actually feel the difference in vibration from the original two bladed prop. The kayak also seemed to be more steady through wake and waves. I have seen the rear mount for the Torqeedo from BassYak. However, I am going to try the peddle well drive from Torqeedo, Hobie evolve. I just have to give it a try. I am not using the "erector set."

With all that said, I think BassYak makes a fine product. If there was a set up for the 55lb thrust motor to go through the drive well of a Hobie ProAngler, I may use a MinnKota. From what I understand, the actual motor is too large. I have been using MinnKota motors for many, many years, for saltwater and freshwater fishing. However, I want to use the well and just steer with the rudder. It just seems to be the perfect set up for what I am now doing. Should I discover that the rear mount offers more advantage, at some point I may do that.
    Last edited by DOGFISH; 02-06-2012, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Paddle slap or motor noise with a prop- wonder how the fins on the Mirage Drive affects fish in close? Spook fish or no?
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

With me, in close means a push pole or a very light paddle use. The peddle drive must make some noise. Don't get me wrong, when using a boat, I have used an electric motor. I would just let the motor on slow. That way the fish would adjust to any noise or vibration as it approached. It is different than starting a motor from stand still. However, a push pole or light paddle is less vibration. Hey, I have seen folks catch fish with an outboard running, of course not in shallow water.

Comment

In really shallow water, you can't use the Mirage Drive system- I ran aground in St. Jerome creek in the shallows and had to just wiggle the pedals pretty much keeping the fins pinned tightly against the hull- I was able to get out of the shallows but had lots of mud clouds- that would definitely spook fish-
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

DogFish, the 55 is actually slower than the 30 or 40, the problem is the sizable mass in the water, the 55 is quicker but the smaller motor are faster once up to hull speed.
            It's funny but if you ask anyone with side imaging sonar they'll tell you that other than a gas engine the paddle leaves the largest signature. Which is spooking the fish more I would say that "movement " would have the largest effect. How ever if you ever marked fish with your sonar and than a gas engine came by , the fish take off and will return in about 10 mins. after the gas boat leaves.
            The props are critical, many of the props are slipping, not allowing full speed., ramp up your speed slowly and watch your GPS , you'll get to a certain speed and the kayak will max out it's speed, even if you have more throttle to give, either your prop has slipped or you have reached hull speed, This is the secret of the Torqeedo prop, it has variable pitch, which won't allow this to happen.
            I'm going to produce an adapter to mount the Torqeedo prop on the Minn-Kota, that should be interesting

Second Half
            GOOOOOO Pats
            Steve
            Last edited by SteveK; 02-06-2012, 10:25 AM.
            Tight Lines
            Steve
            www.Bassyaks.com

Comment

Steve ......... I could use that when you get er done ........ I'm looking for something that will mount on the rear bar ........ until then I'm going to change out those screws and bolts on the engin mount to thumb screws so the engine can be removed from the Erector set ........... that way I can just slide it off when not in use.

Comment

Nothing wrong w/the Bassyaks ......... it's sturdier than the Torqeedo but it's a tank ........ it will give great service ......... I've spoken to the owner a couple of time and would have probably bought 1 if I hadn't bought the Torqeedo.

Last time I talked to him he was going to get me an experimental mount he had for the Torqeedo and there was talk of maybe a discount for the club ...... guess I'll have to call him and see where we are on those ......

Comment

I'm sorry I should of mentioned "prop" that we will be working on.
                  I already have a adapter for the Torqeedo to Minn-Kota bracket but it requires modifying the Torqeedo bracket.
                  Attached Files
                  Tight Lines
                  Steve
                  www.Bassyaks.com

Comment

Hey Steve ........ did ya give anymore thought to the discount for MKF?

Comment

We can do something
                      Tight Lines
                      Steve
                      www.Bassyaks.com

Comment

Well let the guys know ........ several are in the market this year and several more are on the fence .......

Comment

Working...
                        X