Who needs the evolve...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who needs the evolve...

Here's an affordable motor kit for your Hobie... Would like to see one in action before I buy it though.

http://bassyaks.com/
    Last edited by Yakfisher; 02-05-2012, 11:18 AM. Reason: Updated the link...
    2010 Hobie Outback

That is too cool! But I'm gonna peddle a few more years and then see about this.

Comment

That is sweet and at $1000.00 less, I may have to think more about going electric.
      Jim

Hobie Outback
      TKAA member
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Only place you would have trouble is in heavy weeds and lilly pads-
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

ive been looking at those for a while, maybe this winter i'll get serious about it. i do think they are better on the hobie when put where the rudder goes instead of the mirage drive well

Comment

I saw that when I went electric, but the cost and complexity turned me away. Did you see my post about going electric for about $200?
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Ron, there's no problem in the weeds with the Bassyaks System, the motor can be raised to run as a surface prop to cut the pads. If the prop gets fouled you can raise it completely out of the water and fling the weeds off with the throttle. And if you get into a thick lilly field or eel grass you simply raise the motor which can be done from the seat and paddle. The motor can go more places than the Mirage Drive ever could.

Tight Lines
              Steve
              Attached Files
              Last edited by SteveK; 02-11-2012, 09:53 PM.
              Tight Lines
              Steve
              www.Bassyaks.com

Comment

The link says product not found ........ but I could see the products ...... Bassyaks makes a good product ........

check w/Dogfish ....... he had the bassyaks and he is going w/the Torqeedo.

Torqeedo isn't really that much more when you start adding the extra's on the Bassyaks and you get the more space and less weight w/Torqeedo ....... oh and I think the 10% discount on the Torqeedo for us still applies .......

but ........ I would have a Bassyaks if I didn't have the Torqeedo ......

Comment

Bassyaks KILLS the Torqeedo!!! The ONLY thing that the Torqeedo has better is about .5 mph faster, anything faster sinks!! they can't displace the water so the bow keeps rising and the tank well keeps sinking.
                  Bassyaks offers Higher thrust, Longer runtime, more adjust ability, better maneuverability , and it's 10 times stronger that that plastic erector set.
                  It's easier to install.
                  My first Torqeedo ran for 45 mins and BROKE!!

Tight Lines
                  Steve
                  Tight Lines
                  Steve
                  www.Bassyaks.com

Comment

I got the evolve this winter. I hope to try it out this feb at Burke Lake. I looked into bass yak but what won it all was 11 lbs vs 60 lbs.

Do what works for you but I can't wait to try it out at CBBT

Comment

See, that weight means nothing now that the kayak is doing the work.
                      and it's actually 15 vs 40 lbs. You'll love the motor, more time for casting and catching. But the real advantage is that the paddle is out of your hand while fishing, no more paddling with your elbow--LOL!!
                      You'll wonder how you managed without reverse.

Tight Lines Steve
                      Tight Lines
                      Steve
                      www.Bassyaks.com

Comment

I have been using a BassYak 55lb thrust for about four years now. I have had no problem. I did change the prop to a kipawa prop, which made an improvement. I would get the digital maximizer option. It helps run time. I also like the wired remote that comes with the maximizer. That way you can keep the remote right in your lap. The MinnKota is a quiet fishing motor. If you are fishing the bay you may want to consider the 55lb thrust model. As far as the weight of the battery, I carried two 69lb, AGM, 105ah batteries, without any problem. That way I could troll all day. As far as installation, no problem.

I am going to purshase a Torqeedo for the new Hobie I recently bought. I am getting Torqeedo, as it fits in the drive well. I think the MinnKota is a more quiet motor. However, in the bay that is not as much of a consideration. When fresh water fishing, even with the MinnKota, I would use light paddle strokes, when fishing along quiet fresh water banks.

Good luck with your selection. Oh, and by the way, it is nice to be able to fish and steer with your rudder foot holds.

Comment

You had to use light paddle stroke because the 55 has lost it's low end drive ability, the 30 with a EM may have been a better choice.
                          The noise from the Torqeedo is from the gear drive inside the motor, it's an annoying whine which is rpm related.
                          Your going to be disappointed in the run time , seeing what you had.
                          check out this

tight lines
                          Steve
                          Tight Lines
                          Steve
                          www.Bassyaks.com

Comment

Originally posted by SteveK View Post
                            See, that weight means nothing now that the kayak is doing the work.
                            and it's actually 15 vs 40 lbs. You'll love the motor, more time for casting and catching. But the real advantage is that the paddle is out of your hand while fishing, no more paddling with your elbow--LOL!!
                            You'll wonder how you managed without reverse.

Tight Lines Steve
                            Sorry Dude ........ it's 15 vs 100 lbs ....... you forget the battery which is about 60 lbs and much bigger. Don't know when you did the Torqeedo but the new battery has about 40% more power I think. I haven't used the Torqeedo enough to really give it the true test you did but there are several here that have them and don't seem to have the experience you've had.

Kayak Fishing Magazine had an excellent article comparing the 3 Major EK's and had different results than you had. Speed was 1.5 mph faster and the battery was as good as the Bassyaks I think. I didn't reread it.

Here it is ....they did a good job on the article .... read it for yourself .......http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/...pth-look-.html

Comment

Yes, I was wrong the shipping weight of the Bassyaks kit is 16 lbs and a NF22 is 34Lbs, so that's a total of 50lbs. If you want 100 lbs that triples the run time. What you may not know is the Jon changed the prop to a Kipawa unit which is a slower and less efficient prop. Yes Torqeedo did have to increase their capacity of the battery because it lacked the advertised run time, the newer battery has longer run time but it's still way off the advertised. The top speed of almost all of the Bassyaks is 5.0 with the 40 my X-Factor (not a Trident 13) is over 6 mph
                              In my Pungo 140 which is a more efficent sleeker hull , I've seen as high a 6.8 mph

Tight lines
                              Steve
                              Tight Lines
                              Steve
                              www.Bassyaks.com

Comment

Working...
                              X