Bank fishing suggestions for Annapolis vicinity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bank fishing suggestions for Annapolis vicinity

This weekend I'm getting my first chance in a while to go fishing. I want to bring my wife and get away from the Silver Spring area, so I thought it would be fun to go out toward the greater Annapolis area.

We would be more interested in fun lively fishing than anything ambitious in terms of big catches. My experience is soft plastics for crappie, bass, panfish and perch in northern VA. My wife's experience is nothing.

Can anyone recommend any spots that are easy to get to, pleasant to visit, and should keep us entertained with fish biting?

Thanks,
    Mike

I was at Romancoke pier with my 5 yr old, recently. It was clean and not crowded, but thats probably because I went on a weekday. It is 10 bucks for Matapeake and Romancoke piers, for 24 hr parking. They both are pretty much packed on weekends, day and night. Pretty diverse crowd too. Croakers and spot did not come in yet. The soft crab I bought did not catch a thing. Neither did the squid. Bloodworm was the only bait catching small stripers, among all 3 fishing parties.
    “As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler.” - Izaak Walton

Comment

Thanks. I guess I'm going with Jonas Green pier. My first time on saltwater!

Comment

My apologies... I don't often read down into this forum... or else I would have posted this earlier...

You might have better luck with using a top and bottom rig... and with shrimp, squid, and what a lot of use called Fish Bites Bloodworms.
        Cooked shrimp stays on the hook better... and I am not sure if there has been a definitive answer to raw or cooked being better.
        Even if it's just an el'cheapo package of popcorn shrimp. The Korean Supermarkets often sell fresh squid... such that you only would have to buy one.
        Clean the squid such that you would use the tentacles and white meat, peel off the purple thin skin membrane.
        The Fishbites Bloodworms you only need a little piece on the hook... doesn't take much... a quarter inch piece is more than enough.
        Often people have success with razor clams, or pieces of clams. Using size 4 hook is often recommended.

Along the beach area of Jonas you may not have as much success as under the bridges and the piers.
        The end of the pier is sure to be crowded as people try to cast out to deeper water... that you can see from the link below showing the contours of the area.
        If you click on the map... lower left corner button.... it will show more detail of the contours.

http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en...y=w%60_mF|tyqM

Sandy Point State Park also has many possibilities... fishing along the rocks near the bridge... right off the beach, and around the corner to the north along the rocks. There's been big fish caught right off the beach. Spot and perch are sure to be found at Sandy Point.

All these places are most likely going to be crowded on the weekend..

Another website you might try for bank fisherman is http://www.pierandsurf.com/fishing-forum/

You might get more help there... but I certainly don't want to discourage you from coming here.

Let us know how your trip went.

Have a great day !

Comment

Working...
        X