Fish finder/battery question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish finder/battery question

After buying my first kayak and fishing in it for a few months I have decided to add on a fish finder.

I have done some research on have decided on the Lowrance elite 5. Should I get the gold version with navionics maps?

Also as far as powering it I know I'm pretty limited between agm and lithium batteries. I lookin bass pro and saw their atv agm batteries are $99, I can buy a car battery for that. Are there any cheaper options than that? I was wondering as far as lithium batteries what are my options? Do they hook up the same way as agm batteries?

I mainly wanna get a fish finder because I have a newly found freshwater striper addiction

Got a ride 115x so the install will be super easy and I have no questions about that haha

I have the Gold version and the added details on the maps in the areas I fish is nice. For example the Navionics chip shows the debris of the old Naval Academy bridge in the Severn and even shows present private dock locations. Also the depth gradient colorations in all locations I've used it are extremely accurate.

As far as batteries, I do not know much about them. Their life between charges is an important metric to me. I use this battery:

http://www.kayakshed.com/hobie-kayak...er-12v-battery

It runs my Elite 5 HDI slightly over 8 hours between charges. Since my daily trips are rarely over that many hours, I have been satisfied with it.

Good luck on your selection.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thank you very much. I was super in between on the gold version but I think you settled it.

Also thank you very much for the battery suggestion. I think I'm gonna get that one. Pretty cheap and so is the charger.

Comment

thats the battery I have and been pleased.
        Red 2015 Hobie Outback
        Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

I have a humminbird fishfinder and use this battery:
          http://www.amazon.com/Spypoint-12-Vo...ds=12v+battery
          It's never given me any problems and was highly rated on Amazon.

Comment

You can get a 12 Volt 7 Amp/Hour sealed lead acid battery for about $ 25.00 delivered to a Maryland address.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-12v-7ah...attery-f2.html
            Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

i would suggest a 10 or 12aH battery for an Elite-5; it draws 1.1amp. A 7aH battery won't last more than 4 or 5 hours before the unit senses low power and shuts off.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

If you want the battery fast you can pick one up at Home Depot, Lowes or Sears for about $30. I think they have them stocked as emergency lighting batteries. The last time I checked Home Depot had 2 or 3 choices for Ah sizes. I have a Garmin Echomap 44DV and the battery last me all day so far.
                Pelican Strike 100X

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                  i would suggest a 10 or 12aH battery for an Elite-5; it draws 1.1amp. A 7aH battery won't last more than 4 or 5 hours before the unit senses low power and shuts off.
                  I agree with this amperage for the Elite 5DSI- I have the gold version- recently I wanted to lighten up my battery as my 12 ahr 12 volt AGM seems a little heavy and last several trips without needing to be recharged- I bought the Battery Tender 9ahr 12 volt Lithium Iron oxide battery (1.5 pounds) on EBay for $66...waste of money- it only lasted 4 hours- my old AGM is back in operation.
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                    ...as my 12 ahr 12 volt AGM seems a little heavy and last several trips without needing to be recharged...
                    Like most things in kayak fishing (and life) there are tradeoffs. My battery is kind of heavy also. In fact it's the tipping point in me lifting my Revo to the roof of my van. I can do it but the extra effort required is not worth the strain. So I take it out before transporting my kayak and return it before launching. But I like the fact that when it's installed and charged, I do not have to worry about my Elite 5 going dark while I'm on the water.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Luckily I have the removable console so I'm not worried about weight at all when loading.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                        I was looking at the hobie fish finder battery, however I can't seem to find the ah rating for it. Do you have any experience with this battery?
                        Any 10-12aH batteries you could recommend?

Also as far as hooking it up to a fish finder what are the connections like? I don't like the idea of attaching bare wire on wire. Is there some sort of connector I could use?

Comment

think im gonna go with this battery http://www.batteriesasap.com/in12v12f2bas.html and this charger http://www.batteriesasap.com/12un12v10bac.html.

think that should be a solid setup to keep me out on the water all day?

Comment

Fish finder/battery question

Originally posted by lookin4bubba View Post
                            I was looking at the hobie fish finder battery,
                            Based on physical size, to fit in the Hobie battery tray that attaches to the sailing mast or 8" hatch, I would imagine it is a 7ah battery.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

The battery I got with the install kit from Hobie is a 9AH (bought from ACK). It also comes with a 2 port 3M wire connector which is a water resistant crushable connector. I imagine you can get them at any hardware store. I've only had this battery this year but so far it has worked well with an Elite 4 fish finder. I rarely stay out longer than 6 hours so a bigger battery isnt a big issue for me.
                              Mike
                              Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
                              X