Thinking of trying Elms Beach in Southern MD on Sat morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of trying Elms Beach in Southern MD on Sat morning

This is in Southern MD above Point Lookout and a protected beach launch. I am looking for croakers, spots, perch and rocks if they are around. I will be going there in the morning as long as the weather/winds are favorable. Post if you would like to come and maybe we can meet somewhere along the way. I was informed that there is a $5 weekend fee to the park. I believe so far, it is myself and Dimo possibly going.

I'm down to go. I live about 15 minutes south of there. most likely ill just launch at my house and kick north to meet you guys at Elms. but if I feel lazy then ill just see you at Elms beach. I will be there early around 0630 or so.
    Rich
    Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

Probably more like 7am for me, since I am further north. Maybe a 90 min drive.

Comment

no worries. if I launch before anyone is there, ill just stay within sight of the launch till you all show up. if I choose to start without you all, I will be headed south from Elms beach.
        Rich
        Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

Ok so far the weather seems to be dry on Saturday for the morning and mid day hours with 9mph winds. Who is interested in going and meeting up on the drive down? Here is the address of the Park if you want to Google it. Back Door Rd, Lexington Park, MD 20653.

I am looking for decent croaker action and a larger class of croakers to take to my family. I am also looking for Rocks, Spots and Perch.
          Attached Files

Comment

MOC,

so as said above, I live just a few miles south of Elm's beach and right on the water. if you google filbert pond you can see the area that I live in. from the bank I am catching croaker that are 10-13 inches. I haven't caught one smaller than 9 inches in weeks. and a few I have caught have been in the 15 inch class. I still haven't caught a perch but the croaker are so think I don't think the perch have a chance. early spring I was catching rockfish consistently but lately I haven't gotten any. maybe too many cownose rays. not an ocean expert. so if elms isn't hot we can pull out and go south and launch from my house if anyone wishes to.
            Rich

Comment

Originally posted by fishinggod View Post
              MOC,

so as said above, I live just a few miles south of Elm's beach and right on the water. if you google filbert pond you can see the area that I live in. from the bank I am catching croaker that are 10-13 inches. I haven't caught one smaller than 9 inches in weeks. and a few I have caught have been in the 15 inch class. I still haven't caught a perch but the croaker are so think I don't think the perch have a chance. early spring I was catching rockfish consistently but lately I haven't gotten any. maybe too many cownose rays. not an ocean expert. so if elms isn't hot we can pull out and go south and launch from my house if anyone wishes to.
              Sounds like a plan! 10 to 13 inch croakers....nice. What is the best bait that you have found for them? Raw shrimp? fish bites, bloodworms?

Comment

I refuse to use bloodworms...maybe its cause Im a west coast guy and nightcrawlers are like 2 dollars a bin of 25. so bloodworms cost way too much. I buy the cheapest bag of frozen raw shrimp I can find. thaw it out in a Ziploc in the fridge and fish away. they love shrimp down at my house atleast. tried some pieces of a whole fish that a tackle shop sold me but the croaker would just suck off pieces of it. too many nibles. shrimp stay on way better. make sure you bring a bobber. most fish ive caught are close to the bank and there is a ton of concrete debre that you can get snagged on. I will fish a bottom rig most likely but will have a bobber rig set up if I see them splashing on top.
                Rich

Comment

Roger that.

Comment

How early can you enter the park?

Comment

Moc, a better question would be are you dead set on fishing Elms Beach or are you just wanting to come down to the general area to fish down south? if its not to fish that specific spot then you guys can come down and just launch from my house. its about 2 miles down the beach from Elms at most. Plus there will be no fee and we can bbq some of the catch after we get back. If your set on Elms no problem either. the sign says Elms is open from sunrise to sunset. I've never actually launched from their beach. it was packed as a summer camp yesterday full of kids but not sure how the weekends go there.
                      Rich

Comment

Is your house a ramp or beach/grass launch? That is an idea. I have no confirmation on who is coming, I just know that I have to catch croakers, and maybe spots to bring to my family before I go out of town. That is the request that I have. Send me your address. I believed that I sent you my phone number in a PM earlier this week. You can text me your address so I can Google Map it and put it into my GPS. After you said that the beach was packed, launching from your place sounds better. If anyone else confirms that they want to come then I will let you know and pass on the info.

Comment

If anyone else Is interested hit this thread up. I don't mind a few more people at the house for a launch and lunch.
                          Rich

Comment

sadly i can't fish tomorrow.....but id love to connect sometime. i live near spring ridge...we're neighbors practically!
                            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                            X