Oc 7/11-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oc 7/11-12

Launched around 730 Saturday on the beginning of the outgoing. Fished the end of the south jetty with green crab and sand fleas until the tide went slack, surface water temp was 70 deg and close to 5 ft of visibilty. Managed around a dozen tog, a few schoolie rock, some dink black sea bass and a sheephead. I didn't bother measuring anything but the tog seemed to max out around 15" and the sheephead was around 17". I crossed the inlet and started working my way towards the 50 bridge as the incoming started picking up and started jigging for flounder. Picked fish up both shallow and deep but the most productive spots were small points with current pushing up against them in 6fow. Landed a couple dozen with only 3 or 4 keepers in the mix and a big fish at 21". Called it a day around 1900.

Back on the water around 0545 sunday with the last of the incoming. Surface water temp at the south jetty was 73. Fished the south jetty on slack tide for a while with only a couple missed bites and decided to explore an offshore wreck I had seen on a map and see if there were any sheephead out there. Lots of marks once I go there but I was suprised to find triggers! The bite was hot but you had to be right on the wreck. Landed around 20 over the next couple hours and was only hooking every 4th or 5th fish. I decided to give it up and see if the sheephead had started biting at the jetty now that the tide was moving but no such luck. Landed a pair of tog and a couple more dink bsb in a few hours before deciding to fight through the outgoing tide back into the inlet and jigging for some more flounder. They were still biting and after picking up another 18 inch keeper I decided to call it a day around 1400.

A fun weekend with flat calm seas and hungry fish.

Last edited by chimo; 07-13-2015, 08:55 AM.

Nice report, man! I'll give you credit for cruising out of the inlet and exploring the offshore wreck. The triggers were a nice find. Good going!

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I'll second that! Nice work finding the triggers!

How was coming back into the inlet against the tide? It looks like the coefficient was rate average (60's) for this past weekend.
      Brian

Comment

That's one FAT trigger! Nice!
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post

How was coming back into the inlet against the tide?
          Not much fun. I can handle the current but the large boat wakes hitting and crashing over the side of the Revo at the same time sucked...

Comment

Originally posted by chex View Post
            That's one FAT trigger! Nice!
            Thanks, he made a fat sandwich too!

Comment

nice report & nice job & nice fish!
              Red 2015 Hobie Outback
              Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Beautiful fish!! Great report - Thanks. Always wondered what the inlet would be like with all that traffic. Doesn't sound like fun....
                Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

How far out was the wreck from the inlet? It always looks kinda hairy where the inlet meets the ocean. Good weekend of fishing with a good mix. What type of rod/reel combo were using when catching the triggers/sheep?

Comment

You had a great adventure. That is cool that you went to the wreck in the ocean. How was the waves and current out there? That was some nice looking fish...yum. Did you sleep in your vehicle or did you have a hotel room?

Comment

Great report Wayne, what an awesome trigger!!!
                      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                      2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

The wreck is less than a mile from the inlet, current wasn't bad and it was a slick calm day. I was using a medium travala with a abu round baitcaster, 40lb pp and a 30lb flouro leader. Slept in the truck with lots of other folks in the Walmart parking lot.

Comment

Anyone heading to oc this weekend?
                          Michael
                          2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
                          Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

Ill be fishing the inlet at sunrise.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                            Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                              Ill be fishing the inlet at sunrise.

will you be launching from sunset marina? im heading up after work today with a couple friends and would love to meet you out there. itd be my first time fishing ocean ciity on a kayak and it would def be helpful to go out there with someone who has more experience. especially with the strong currents at the inlet, i wouldnt want to risk going out there without knowing what to expect. what will you be targeting? flounder, tog, sheepshead im assuming? PM me if you'd like to meet up! ill actually be heading up with dan (dkwon) who you sold the revo to
                              Michael
                              2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
                              Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

Working...
                              X