Smith Creek Outling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith Creek Outling

Had a great morning outing at Smith Creek in St. Inigoes, MD. with Yakfisher (Tom)2015-07-12 11.08.19.jpg. Being that this was my first time in the area, Yakfisher guided me to St. Inigoes State Park on the west side of Smith Creek. 2015-07-12 15.17.51.jpg 2015-07-12 12.09.44.jpg See square on lower left side of photo. Saw three Bald Eagles on the drive into the Park. Weather was great, mid 80's, no wind, and ebbing tide. We launched about 7:30. 2015-07-12 07.40.11.jpg. Traveled to the right of the launch area through some very shallow grassy areas towards rows of crab pots. Tried trolling both on the outside (10-15ft) and inside (4-6ft) of the pots, nothing. Was using a 3/8 jig with a 4"white curly tail. After 3 or 4 pass of the pots, we saw fish jumping along the edge of the grass areas in 4-5 ft. Went to the light rod with a spinner (it was yours Mark) that I use for Perch- got a 14", but that was it. Tom caught one a little later, also small. Ran into "Big Mike" in this area. He was not having much luck either. We then tried a oyster bar to the left of our launch that ran along the show in 4-6 ft. Had several hit, but no landings. Gave it up around 11:30. We didn't get skunked, but pullage was scarce. Had a great time, would like to revisit again when the fish are hungry.

One side note: This area is near Patuxent River Naval Station. We had a Drone flying over us most of the morning. Yakfisher says just up the road is where the drone pilots are trained. Am sure they had us in their sights. They were up pretty high, but you could hear the "drone" of the engines. Kind of neat actually.

I want to thank Yakfisher for inviting me down to his area of the world. You were very gracious in showing me the areas where the fish were (even though they weren't biting).

Thanks
    Last edited by J. Rentch; 07-12-2015, 07:00 PM.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Had a good time John wish the fishing was better hey we didn't get skunked lol

Comment

Good for you John in testing new water.

Looks a lot calmer than the last time we were out locally. Bet you didn't miss the wind and waves.

Glad you got some pullage and the spinner still has some magic.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Great to met you John and Tom. I ended up with 3 undersized rocks and a half dozen hard heads with a couple of 12" in the mix. Pretty slow day for this area. The Navy facility near this launch is known as Webster Field and they fly smaller drones out of it. One of the unique aspects of fishing down here is the possibility of seeing just about any aircraft or drone the Navy flies on any given day. Having a JSF fly by with an F-18 chase plane enlivens the slowest fishing day.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Glad someone had some success yesterday. I still enjoyed being there, even with the drones.
          John Rentch
          Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
          Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

yeah, Southern Maryland fishing hasn't been up to our standards...haven't seen any reds and the few specks are just barely 14 inches...not like it was a couple of years ago when we had a bumper crop of 18-24 inch redfish and big gator trout...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
            X