Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever fish Wide Water on the C&O canal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever fish Wide Water on the C&O canal?

This past week I took a little hiking trip up the C&O canal. I walked through some new-to-me sections, including a spot called Wide Water:

It is, like the name suggests, a mile-ish spot where the canal is very wide and deep. Even right at the bank it looks to be around 10-15' deep. From shore I was able to hook three very nice bass in about a 45min, but only was able to land one, the other two jumped and threw the hook. I was using an ML spinning rig and I think I was a bit outclassed. In any case, I am eager to get my yak out there. There is access via Old Angler's Inn, though I believe it is a bit of a carry. Anyone ever done any fishing around there?
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

Were they largemouth or smallmouth? That looks like a cool spot.

Comment

The one I managed to land was a largemouth and I believe the other two were as well.

I'm going to try and get out there this week to fully scope out the launch situation and maybe try to get an outing planned for later in the month.
      Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
      Lime Slayer 10

Comment

I'm interested in finding out where the best launch site is. Keep us updated!

Comment

Where on the C&O is this? I've never heard of the place and it looks nice.

Comment

Wide Water is north of Old Angler's Inn in Potomac (about 2 miles above the American Legion Bridge) and south of Great Falls.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Sadly I listened to the weather man and didn't make it out this week. If Monday is clear I will head over then.
              Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
              Lime Slayer 10

Comment

I think you are right bunnielab with regards to the access point. There appears to be an fairly good access point across street from old angler inn. It looks like about an 1/8th mile paddle up the canal to get to the widewater area. I may try to check it out this weekend. Sunday if possible. Have guys coming to tile a bathroom on Saturday.

Here is the image from google maps:
                widewaterpotomacriver.jpg

Comment

It is a good Largemouth area. I've been there a few times over the years.
                  Hurricane Skimmer 128
                  WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Working...
                  X