Lowes Wharf Meet and Gree 7/11/2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowes Wharf Meet and Gree 7/11/2015

Early in the week the weather was looking perfect. Partly sunny skies, winds from the NNW below 6 mph, and only a 10% chance of rain. As Friday approached and a weather front came through, the chance of rain went up to 60% for the morning hours. Off and on rain showers were expected so I packed a rain jacket just in case the rain did come. There was a lot of anticipation with this Meet and Greet for old and new members. Coop and I tried to keep the communications going until Friday for anyone who had any questions. Coop arranged for us to use the ramp and have four reserved tables at the Lowes Wharf Restaurant.

I left my house at 3:35am to get to the Wawa on Route 50 for coffee and ice at 4:05am. While I was in the Wawa, and ran into two other Snaggedliners going to the Meet and Greet, Medicyaker and DaddyG. They followed me into Lowes Wharf, but not before we stopped at McDonalds to get some breakfast to take with us in the our vehicles. The drive to Lowes Wharf was not a bad drive from the Bay bridge. We ended up getting to Lowes Wharf at 5:20am. Coop was already there to help direct traffic and parking. We saw Nathan's (Echo5oscar) vehicle parked in the lot. He was the first to arrive and launched early, to get the morning bite. I had a list that I printed out of everyone who was attending from the most recent posting on Snaggedline. I checked-in everyone as they arrived. We had 23 who attended and the majority of them went to the lunch. There were a lot of kayakers at this launch....it was a beautiful sight. Many of the Snaggedliners helped each other unload the yaks, which was a good thing to see from the Snaggedline community.

It started to drizzle off and on, so I decided to put on my rain jacket as I was launching. It rained lightly off and on until 10am, then it remained cloud until 11am when the sun broke out. The winds were 0 to 5 mph all morning. When I launched, I went to cast a spinner bait at the grassy shoreline looking for perch or rocks. I saw tons of fish jumping all over there. Well, my spinner could not even attract a bump. So I decided to switch two of my rods to 4 inch paddle tails with a 1/8 and a 1/4 ounce jig head on each rod. Within minutes I began catching fish while trolling in water around 4 feet deep. I caught a dozen rockfish in short order ranging from 14 inches to 17 inches. Well, I was looking for a larger class of fish so I decided to troll on my was to Poplar Island. I land one fish on the troll over there. Since the water was deeper over there, I switched to a 1/4 ounce and a 1/2 ounce. I stated landing fish with my paddle tails. All the shorelines seemed to be loaded with hungry rocks near the ramp and all the way to Poplar Island. While trolling around Poplar Island, I landed a 14 inch bluefish, and at least 35 rockfish that ranged from 14 inches to 18.5 inches. I could not get a keeper this time, but I got lots of pullage. I even got the dreaded cownose ray (CNR) on my way leaving the island. He got my jig head but when he flapped his wings real hard, it released my precious lure. Coop, Cowpokey, other Sanggedliners, and myself, gave out some of our paddle tails to kayakers who may not have had the right bait that the fish were craving. Some kayakers caught only 1 or 2 fish, but when they started to use the paddle tails, they immediately quadruple their catch ratio. I estimated after talking to everyone that our group caught over 300 stripers today from 12 inches to 22 inches. Several members also caught white perch, and at least 10 CNRs.

It turned out to be a beautiful day with partly sunny skies, but it was now time to come in for lunch. We made it to the restaurant by 1:00pm. Everyone finally got their gear packed and we were all in attendance by 1:30pm. The owner reserved 4 tables with umbrellas for our group. The first order of business was to give out the bucket of lures that everyone generously participated in at the lunch. There was some good stuff in there. Coop was able to get one of the waitress to come over and pull the winning name out of a beer bucket. Well, Plastic Boat a.k.a. Jeff won. Good for him since he came all the way from Delaware to come to this Meet and Greet. Next we announced the winner of the largest fish caught and measured from a kayak. The winner for this was prize was Nathan a.k.a. Echo5oscar. Congratulations to both Jeff and Nathan. The restaurant was great. It had a beachy vibe on a nice sunny day. There was even a live band . The conversation was good, food and drinks were flowing, and from what Coop and I could see, everyone had a great time. It was good seeing some new and old Snaggedline members again. Everyone was heading home between 3:30 and 4pm.
    Attached Files

Was a great time! I showed up early so I could get across the way and be at the island about the time the sun came up...or was suppose to come up. Once I got there, I made a few casts and picked up a small striper, the decided to head up and around to the bayside. No sooner than I started trolling the gulp, I saw a blitz coming at me. It was nonstop catching for roughly the next hour, then it slowed. Some. Biggest fish went 22 1/4".

Comment

I approve this report.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

I was making fun of Goody, for the CNR he got early. I got paid back for my sarcasm with three of them in less than 30 minutes. They can strip some drag with a quickness.

Thanks to Coop and MOC for putting this together.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Had an excellent time meeting everyone, trying out new spots and seeing everyone's yaks in action! Pretty productive day with 14, of which a couple were keeper perch. Great paddling day with 8.62 miles, still felt like I had enough to go out for the evening, if weren't for my cancelled clearance by the boss ;-). image.jpgimage.jpg
          -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Originally posted by Dimo View Post
            Had an excellent time meeting everyone, trying out new spots and seeing everyone's yaks in action! Pretty productive day with 14, of which a couple were keeper perch. Great paddling day with 8.62 miles, still felt like I had enough to go out for the evening, if weren't for my cancelled clearance by the boss ;-). [ATTACH=CONFIG]16380[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16381[/ATTACH]
            What is the app you have pictured that you are using to keep your tracks?

Comment

Charts on iOS (not sure about Android). Love the depth charts, radar overlays, community points of interest. Highly recommend.
              -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

100_0205.jpg100_0206.jpg100_0207.jpg100_0210.jpg100_0212.jpg100_0214.jpg100_0216.jpg

Thanks to Coop and moc for hosting this event.

I had a great time and met some fellow Snaggedliner's enjoyed putting some faces with the names and checking out their kayaks . On top of that I landed 56 stripers with one keeper that I released and 1 bluefish that was 14". Thankfully I was able avoid the dreaded Cow Nosed Rays. Just about 1/2 of my fish were caught trolling 1/4 and 1/2 ounce jig heads with 4" swim shad body's around the big Island the rest were caught casting 1/4 ounce jig head with a swim shad in the shallows around the 2 smaller islands.
                Thanks to all the members that could mike it today, Thanks for the Bucket of lures.

My total Kayak mileage was 10.2 for the day
                Last edited by plastic boat; 07-12-2015, 03:27 PM.

Comment

I had a great time, but that was a LOT of paddling for the first trip out in the year. Next time I WILL have my trolling motor fully rigged out. I think it will be most useful just getting out to the location, not necessarily for trolling.

One thing I am coming to realize is that there are TONS of different configurations for a kayak fishing rigs, from cheap (ish) sit in kayaks to the grand Hobie Pro Angler, they all work really well. Lots of different ways to outfit them as well.

Thanks for setting this all up. I will post pics shortly.
                  People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

2015-07-11 08.39.06.jpg2015-07-11 09.30.06.jpg2015-07-11 09.30.34.jpg2015-07-11 09.30.51.jpg2015-07-11 09.44.09.jpg2015-07-11 10.40.37.jpg
                    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Another great Meet and Greet. Thanks Coop and Moc for hosting this event. I always look forward to fishing there.

It was great to meet new folks and put a face to the names. There was fun and action for everyone that came. I'm glad the group got a lot of pullage. I lost count of how many fish I caught. I did manage to get one keeper at 20.5".

Here are some photo's from the event.

20150711_063741.jpg 20150711_064433.jpg 20150711_064438.jpg 20150711_070132.jpg 20150711_070442.jpg 20150711_085515.jpg 20150711_085542.jpg 20150711_085547.jpg 20150711_085620.jpg 20150711_092254.jpg

Outback 2015
                      Maui

Comment

Looks like you all had a good time. Nice report.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                        Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                        X